Tormach Mill- Would you do it again.

Fishchips

Active User
Registered
I'm looking at the newer Tormach 1100M video's and was wondering how current Tormach owners like their mills?

I'm looking at the newer Tormach 1100M video's and was wondering how current Tormach owners like their mills?

I bought the 770 Series 3 mill seven years ago. In addition to the basic mill, I bought the 4th axis, the stand plus coolant kit, and the TTS tooling set. My primary reason for buying it was the CNC mill gave me the ability to perform machining that would otherwise be impossible. At the time I bought the mill, there weren't many alternatives . I didn't want to go though the bother of a DIY CNC and I wanted a mill that was designed from the ground up as a CNC mill rather than a manual conversion to CNC.

I have found a number of deficiencies over the years, some in manufacturing and some in design. Also, it is not truly capable of sub thousandths accuracy. For instance, my spindle has more runout than my forty year old mill/drill. The spindle is actually a warranty replacement as a bearing went out on the original at about four months. The original control computer was replaced after about two months. The 1 hp VFD driven spindle motor is terribly under powered at the low end of the speed range. Last year, my Leadshine z axis driver failed, the cause of which was a burned connector which took out the driver transistor. Tormach replaced the driver, no charge and I was able to repair the old driver, giving me a spare. I also replaced the cooling fan in the control cabinet and a defective capacitor in the coolant pump motor.

On the plus side, Tormach has made considerable improvements in the last seven years. The switch from the original Mach 3 to their Path Pilot software has been a good step forward. While the mill is not capable of day in/day out sub thousandths precision, with care some precision work can be done with it. My problem with the blown driver was caused by oxidation of a plug in connector and had been identified by Tormach. They currently use an anti-oxidant silicon grease on those connectors. I haven't examined the M class machines to se if some of the mechanical deficiencies have been corrected but from what I have seen, it appears that improvements have been made. Their support team has also become much more experienced and they are willing to work with you to solve problems.

Bottom line, would I do it again? Most likely, yes. There have been disappointments but on the whole I am satisfied with the performance. I love the TTS system and have actually set up my mill drill to use it as well. If I had the room for it, an 1100 would be a preferable machine because of the larger work volume and 50% more spindle power but I couldn't fit one into my basement shop. At the time that I bought my machine, the full enclosure wasn't available but I really don't miss it.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them.

I have a series 3 1100PCNC, if back when I bought it I had the experience with it I do now, I would still buy it.
But would have done different on the accessories.
I went hog wild on shell mills and a 2" dia shear hog that don't get any use. bought the jog shuttle controller and can't see any good use for that either.
The machine is at it's best with .375 and smaller diameter tools. Less problems with pull out, and cheaper to replace, not if I crash but when I crash.
I am running path pilot.
My computer skills were very weak when I purchased the machine. CAD CAM and path pilot have been a steep path.

When I purchased the machine I was newly retired, had some money, and time. Could have got a boat or new pickup truck

Still glad to have the machine.

I purchased a Series 2 1100 machine with a lot of accesories used a number of years ago. It has been a good machine overall. I've replaced the computer a few times (the one I got with the machine wasn't the original), so this seems to be the weak link on this machine. I'm currently using a Tormach machine controller with thier new pathpilot system. My machine was built in 2009, and I just recently had two electrical problems, one the fan went out and the other a screw came loose in the spindle safety switch and caused a short. Not too bad, I would say for the age of the machine. I have updated the machine to Series 3. Overall the machine has been good. As stated above, don't expect sub thousanths accruracy, Tormach does not claim that the machines will do this, either. I certainly do not regret my purchase, and I would love to upgrade to the new 1100M, but can't justify the expense.

I bought one of the eariler 1100's and have been very happy with it. I think Tormach did more things right than they did wrong and it certainly fills a niche for a semi-professional CNC mill at a reasonable price. I've found that the 1100 will do almost anything I ask of it -- although not always at production-shop levels of throughput...

Back