Tormach PCNC77O

09kevin

Forum Guest
Register Today
I’ve had my Tormach mill for about one year now, All in all I have been very happy with it smile.png

New in the crate
cratesr.jpg

Setting up the stand
standhm.jpg

Unpacking the mill, It was nice of them to put a bow on it biggrin.gif
millb.jpg

We used an engine hoist to set the mill on the stand
onthestand.jpg

I’ve made a few modifications. The chip guard is a little low so I added about 8 inches more to keep most of the chips and coolant in.
tallerchipguard.jpg

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice machine Kevin, have you made much with it yet?smile.png

Cheers
David.

That's nice work Kevin, I had seen those posts before and wondered what you used to machine them.

Cheers
David.

My PCNC1100 will be a year old next month and the ONLY thing I wish it had is 10,000 RPM. I had to turn down an engraving job a couple of days ago because at 5,000 RPM I just couldn't be comtetitive. What I really needed to do that job right is a machine with 50,000 RPM.

There were a lot of places that would have required the use of a .005 end mill. Five thousandths end mill? HA!! Before you can use it, you gotta be able to see it.

Steve, have you considered adding an air spindle to it to get the speed you need?

Resistance Is Not Futile!
It's voltage divided by current.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

I'm right 97% of the time. Who cares about the other 4%!!!

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 42 viewpost-right.png
Steve, have you considered adding an air spindle to it to get the speed you need?

I think I'll just stick with what my machine is capable of for now. I think my next add on will be a 4th axis.

My PCNC1100 will be a year old next month and the ONLY thing I wish it had is 10,000 RPM. I had to turn down an engraving job a couple of days ago because at 5,000 RPM I just couldn't be comtetitive. What I really needed to do that job right is a machine with 50,000 RPM.

There were a lot of places that would have required the use of a .005 end mill. Five thousandths end mill? HA!! Before you can use it, you gotta be able to see it.

Here is a little project I did with a 0.003 tip end mill http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-66#post-190205

I did another project for a customer that needed a high speed spindle, so I used a RotoZip as the spindle. Pretty easy to adapt to a mill with a mounting bracket off of the spindle.

Last edited:
I ordered a new toy for my mill, I haven't had a time to test it out yet. There are some probing routines in Pathpilot and I would also like to use it for picking up features on existing parts.

012.JPG

I had time to calibrate the probe tonight, it was fairly easy to do. First I dialed in the tip within .0002, the probe has 3 screws to adjust run out.
033.JPG

Then I ran the calibration test, I probed the vise jaw then rotated the probe 120 degrees, probe the jaw again then rotate 120 more degrees and re probe the jaw the last time. All three dimensions were within .0001, I have a hard time believing my machine will repeat that close but it made me feel good anyways :)

035.JPG

Back