Tormach TTS superfly

I've had one for a couple of years. A lot faster that a regular fly cutter and (usually) a very nice finish. Being able to change inserts to match the material being cut is a big benefit. A little spendy at $120 but I think it is worth it if you use a fly cutter regularly.

I've got one and I like it. I do a lot of work on steel and with the torque drop off at low speed on the Tormach you just cant use HSS cutters effectively in a fly cutter on steel. Good surface finish on steel and aluminum. It is a bit pricey, but I don't regret buying it, I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

Does anyone know who makes the SuperFly for Tormach? Reason I ask, I would be interested in one for a non Tormach machine, so the R8 TTS would be of no use.

Thank you
michael

You can get the R8 adapter ($30) (or MT3 adapter) and the superfly cutter will work in any R8 (or MT3) mill. The adapter is also first thing to get to to start using the entire Tormach Tool System for repeatable Z heights in a non Tormach mill.
I started with the R8 adapter and superfly and gradually am adding to the TTS system with collet sets and other tools. I have a Syil X4+ mill with an R8 spindle and using MachStdMill with its enhanced touch plate, master tool mode and tool offset capabilities (http://www.calypsoventures.com/). The two go together nicely.

Does anyone know who makes the SuperFly for Tormach? Reason I ask, I would be interested in one for a non Tormach machine, so the R8 TTS would be of no use.

Thank you
michael

TTS uses a 3/4" shank, so you could use them in any 3/4" collet or tool holder, but without the TTS collet and a spindle that it can index to in the z axis, you would not get the repeatable z setting. This may or may not be something you need, depending on how you plan to use it.

Tormach touts the Superfly as being ideal for machines under 3HP, but they don't say how much under. My LMS 5500 manual bench mill has a 750 watt (1 HP) brushless DC motor, belt drive, 2000 RPM max spindle speed. Would I see any added benefit from a Superfly over a run of the mill (pardon the pun) fly cutter with HSS or brazed carbide tool bit?

Tom

My Syil X4+ has 1.3HP and the Superfly works good. As with all tooling used with this mill I have to adjust for hp and rigidity. Still, I think the Superfly leaves a better finish in less time than a standard fly cutter.

The only problem was my own, when I initially installed the insert holder with the insert facing down (against the work piece) instead of 90 degrees to the work piece surface.
haha. I did that too. Doesn't cut very well when you do that.

Back