Tormach

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any opinions on the Tormach CNC mills ???

There is a sub forum about them over on cnczone. That is about all I know about them.. but, I do like the tooling system and will eventually will convert my mill to it.

They seem to be pretty capable machines. If you have not already taken a look at John Grimsmo's videos on Youtube, he moved from an X2 conversion to a Tormach a several months ago (between 4 and 6 I think). No better way to see what a machine is capable of then to watch somebody make things on one ;)

[video=youtube;xX4t6XeGnbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4t6XeGnbA&feature=share&list=UU8SC-01ZKmzTIa2Usn6fexQ[/video]

I have one in my garage at home. I have a PCNC 1100 Series II.

I got it in July 2011, and all I can say is I love it.

I am an ex CNC shop owner where I had a 3016 FADAL and a Haas TM1 Tool Room Mill. My Tormach will do ANYTHING those machines would do, it just takes a little longer. The FADAL had 22 peak horsepower and the Haas has 7.5, but the Haas also had a 5C 4th axis.

I started that shop in January 2001 at the age of 56, after a 6 month recovery period from spine surgery with an original plan to work till I was 70. I made it to 62 and a heart attack changed my plans for me. I ended up with a quintuple cardiac bypass and a new aortic valve. After that I decided I no longer needed or wanted the stress of ownership so I sold the shop and made an attempt at retirement,

That lasted 3 months. After bumbling around for a close to 4 years I bought my Tormach, and I have never looked back.

I make running gear for remote control gasoline powered boats, cars, trucks and buggies. When I say gasoline powered, I mean they run on weed whacker engines on gasoline mixed with oil just like the 2 cycle motorcycles of yesteryear.

I live in a home where we have a HOA and when they try to make crap for me, I just tell them it's a hobby and they can't stop me from persuing my hobby.

I would say, if you are considering a Tormach, GO FOR IT. If you would like to talk about it, you can call me at 714-420-2453 after about 10:00 AM almost any day. If your call goes to voicemail, leave a message and I WILL call you back.

I call myself Mid Day Machining now because I seldom start before 11:00 AM and I try to finish by 5:00 PM.

Here is a picture of my machine, one of my boats and some of the parts I make for gas boats.

TORMACH 3.JPG MY BOAT 6.JPG BACK_END_OF_MY_BOAT.jpg

Last edited:
09Kev

What is the actual largest piece you can machine on you 770?....with no mods of course..

The maximum travel for the 770 is 14.0 in X and 7.5 in Y,The 1100 has 18.0 in X and 9.5 in Y. the largest part I have cut was a 12.0 dia circle, I rotated the part 180 degrees to finish the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half. I think the biggest limitation would be in the Y axis, You can always slide the part in X, But are limited in Y because of clearance with the Z axis column.

Kevin

Still pretty good size for a mill like that...thanks. I appreciate the help.

Back