Toro LX425 Surging

It seems I have the same problem but before I got to this thread I pulled my transmission off to make sure I didnt have any broken parts inside, when I pulled it apart I noticed water inside, my question now is what type of grease do they use in the transmission cause right now it is black and soupy, their are parts in their that look to be a red looking grease and I was wondering if the color change was from the water getting in, I have had no luck finding anyhing about what kind of oil or grease that goes inside any of these type of transmission, it is the single speed transmission from a Toro LX425, also on the same subject what would be a recomended way of cleaning out all the old grease, hope someone can help on this cause my grass is getting tall.

It seems I have the same problem but before I got to this thread I pulled my transmission off to make sure I didnt have any broken parts inside, when I pulled it apart I noticed water inside, my question now is what type of grease do they use in the transmission cause right now it is black and soupy, their are parts in their that look to be a red looking grease and I was wondering if the color change was from the water getting in, I have had no luck finding anyhing about what kind of oil or grease that goes inside any of these type of transmission, it is the single speed transmission from a Toro LX425, also on the same subject what would be a recomended way of cleaning out all the old grease, hope someone can help on this cause my grass is getting tall.

I got a tube of grease from my local Toro dealer, about $12 if I remember correctly. This is a slurry type grease; not thin like oil but not thick like axle grease. Somewhere between the two.

Cleaning the internal parts is a messy process. I used mineral spirits and a brush to get everything clean and ready for assembly. Be sure to use a good quality gasket sealer when assembling the cases. It keeps the grease in and water and dirt out. I used Right Stuff made by Permatex. Not cheap but good.

Hope this helps.

Tom S

Thanks I'll go that route, what I have been able to research is the only gearbox grease I can find is Stens "00" grease used in Snapper mowers but seams to be what im looking for since I went to a local repair shop and they said they havnt had to tear down many transmissions and didnt know what to use which sounds like alot of bull and they just dont want to tell me so they can do the work but I'll update on how this turns out.

Just wanted to update what I did so if anyone else has to rebuild a lawn mower trany this could help, I found on Ebay Stens "00" grease which seems to be what is used in the transmissions but I didnt want to wait for shipping so I found some corn head grease at my local John Deer farm supply store which is "0" weight but works, I watched some YouTube video's where someone used Red and Tacky #2 grease which is to thick and locked up his reverse, well after tearing down cleaning and reassembling it runs like new with no problems, on a extra note I used two tubes of grease costing just under $5, hope this helps anyone else cause after alot of research their is not much online help for this and I wish I had video logged this but maybe next project I will, and thanks to Tom for the help.

Back