Torque Needed For D1-4 Cam Lock?

I'm also happy to say that the spindle seems to be dead on. I can't measure and any runnout anywhere, and the chuck runnout is the same in any of the three mounting positions. I'll still pick a position and stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It came in at 0.0045" average.
0.0045" - that is huge. Make sure there are no burrs. Run a small stone over it to check.

I am getting ready to cut that plate and get the 4 jaw mounted. I don't really want a chuck plate to be my first cut on this lathe, but I'll go for it.

Certainly go for it. On the chuck side of the adapter plate, there is usually enough meat to try several times. You seem pretty thorough, I'll bet you get it on the first attempt.

Interestingly, the 3 jaw has runnout on the order of 0.010" depending on where it is measured. I pulled it off of the mounting plate, which has 0.006" face runnout and 0.003" radial runnout on the chuck mounting pilot diameter. It must not have been seated when it was cut. The tee handle wrench was also broken by the original owner. Hmmmm.
Yeah, a mess. Even a pretty awful 3 jaw should be able to do better than 0.010" TIR, once you get it tuned.

I need to take enough to draw onto the taper another 0.004 to 0.005". Probably a thou or so. I'll try the emery cloth method suggested by chipper. It wont take much.

The taper fit is pretty tough material. If you are going to open it about 0.001", that is a depth of 0.0005" to remove. That is quite a bit of sanding (slow but safe).

Thank you for letting us know how it is going.
David

Make sure your pins are set at the correct depth in your chuck. When I first mounted my 4 jaw the pins were set one turn out too far and the chuck didn't seat right. I pulled the locking bolts and screwed each pin in one turn and it then seated perfectly. My pins have an etched line that should be right at the chuck's surface with the pin screwed in to proper depth.

Yep, thats a good tip, and I've been playing with the pin depth. I have them back out now, but they were set so the spindle cams would hit about a 5 o'clock position when seated.
What I sm struggling with is having the pins get chewed up. Here is a pic of the pins that were in the chuck when I bought the lathe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451750641.424464.jpg

I tried to fix by deburring the cams in the spindle, but I'm still getting some contact I don't want. Not sure what I'll do next.
Here is what I am getting now (different pins).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451750844.785246.jpg

Well, I have the 3 jaw all fixed up. I made a tool post grinder and used it to dust the taper in the mounting plate. Carefully indicated the 3 jaw plate in the 4 jaw. I made a dummy male d1-4 taper gage so I could tell when I had enough removed using feeler gages for depth measurement. Worked just perfectly. Overall, the lathe is getting close to complete. I can't believe how much time I have spent refurbing this lathe. I have a bunch of pics I'll have to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back