Torque to move Z axis in a mini mill?

Thanks for your answers and help

Yes you are right, I´ll buy the fish scale

No desire to calculate the torque/load/impulse? It would be easy to do. Work is mass times distance, and impulse can be back calculated from time, mass, and translation. Divide the force (or force function with respect to time) by your lead screw pitch and your delta t, and you end up with peak torque needed to move a mass a given distance with a measured acceleration. It should get you close, right? Or you can use a fish scale. I suppose with a fish scale, a man could measure tension for a lifetime.

Older thread but, I just went through this. My 7x10 HF mini-lathe needs about 7 in-lbs of torque to turn the engaged leadscrew and move the carriage.

EDIT:
Oops: just noticed it's a mill, sorry, please ignore.

20in/pounds will do it (up) on a pm30 and that is easy to get with a stepper and gear reduction. around 4n/m.
im planning on doing the same on my grizzly g0758 (much smaller than the pm30).

Fish scale
A fish scale can be handy for other things in the shop. I use one for setting the down force on my 4x6 bandsaw. It's nothing special, basically a calibrated spring. Cheeep but just fine for the purpose.

A fish scale can be handy for other things in the shop. I use one for setting the down force on my 4x6 bandsaw. It's nothing special, basically a calibrated spring. Cheeep but just fine for the purpose.
This is a great idea, i have the same 4x6 bandsaw and i just slide a few large heavy box wrenches through the arm lift handle to add downforce.

Back