Torque wrench for arbor

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I have the fret installing arbor as pictured below. It's a great tool but I want to refine it a bit. I want to replace or add to the arm a torque registering capability like what a torque wrench does, (second pic below). Of all the wrenches on the Internet I have not seen one that would work with the arbor. I'm guessing I might have to fashion one.
Does anybody have any ideas and/or suggestions on this?

Attachments

• 3FB5E70D-2435-40AC-B987-84E5756B0CED.jpeg
    3FB5E70D-2435-40AC-B987-84E5756B0CED.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 32
  • D4A3FDE8-EA41-4CAD-B5A6-25B7F60D1927.jpeg
    D4A3FDE8-EA41-4CAD-B5A6-25B7F60D1927.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 31
Or get a big enough socket that slips over the arbour press shaft and grind a slot through two sides so it slips over the arbour press handle. Plug the torque wrench into the socket — removable and no welding.

-frank

Seems to me that any torque wrench would work. You just need a socket welded onto the pinion shaft to be able to insert the torque wrench drive.

Are you sure you want to trust a torque wrench for that kind of operation? Wouldn't it be safer to trust your arm/hand? What if it was some famous person's guitar? I think I'd be nervous about trusting a machine
just sayin'
-Mark

I would get a used socket that is large enough to fit over the shaft that the present handle goes through. Make sure it fits tightly. Make up a plug (bushing) that will go into the hole in the shaft and drilled down the center with a hole. Remove the old handle, insert the plug. Drill a hole cross ways though the socket that when the socket is placed over the shaft will align to the hole in the plug. Slip the socket over the shaft and insert a bolt and lock it in place with a lock nut.
For the torque wrench. I would consider a click type or dial instead of the pointer type. You can purchase the click types pretty easily from HF. But you first must decide what type of force you want to be able to measure. Foot pounds or Inch pounds and the range. Make sure the torque wrench range puts the desired force somewhere in the middle for best results and to allow you to adjust as needed.

Without modifying the press, you could get a socket large enough to fit over the press shaft and cut two notches in the socket to engage the handle.

I think for precision work the proper size beam torque wrench is better

Are you sure you want to trust a torque wrench for that kind of operation? Wouldn't it be safer to trust your arm/hand? What if it was some famous person's guitar? I think I'd be nervous about trusting a machine
just sayin'
-Mark
I don't work on other peoples guitars. I make my own. The reason I want to do this is for getting the same pressure on all frets as I insert them. Sometimes the pressure isn't enough, or too much, and you can see minute differences in the fret heights and impressions in the wood fret board.

Attachments

• 4B8649C2-A37E-40F2-BC1E-B14F1D07E5EC.jpeg
    4B8649C2-A37E-40F2-BC1E-B14F1D07E5EC.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 13
Back