Torture Testing the Unimat SL1000

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I have a Unimat SL1000 and a DB200.
they are enchanting due to their small footprint as well as for the precision in which they are made.

I'm torture testing my SL1000 to find the boundaries of operation. (and possibly step over them from time to time)
for the control portion of the experiment, i have ground an 8° HSS tool- this will be the only constant in these series of experiments
some of you may have seen the videos i have produced, most have not.
i will start by inserting the videos in sequential order

plenty more to come!

I took the same 8° tool and turned some small diameters (<.060") in 1137 and 6061

IMG_4079.jpg 5/64" bit

i was able to turn some 6061 to .030" diameter- that's smaller than a 2 watt resistor axial lead diameter !

IMG_4096.jpg

I have a Unimat 1000sl, strictly for small stuff. Going to you videos now.

Do the slightly bigger machines still need the RPM? If I'm not mistaken Super Mo-Max is M42? I got a ?? SS bar from Dave that's been eating my lunch so far.

Do the slightly bigger machines still need the RPM? If I'm not mistaken Super Mo-Max is M42? I got a ?? SS bar from Dave that's been eating my lunch so far.
the smaller the diameter, the faster you turn it is the rule of thumb
i run my 1236's about 350 spindle rpm, and vary feed and doc
super Mo-max is 8% cobalt, if i'm not mistaken.
i love Mo Max-
you may be turning a bit fast if you eat it up quick

The machines he has won't notice :)
I do not have a lot of variety in materials yet, and minimal turning experience. I had my lathe up to max RPM during break in, and it gave me the Willies. It took me 2 years of owning it to actually want to do something with it. :rolleyes:

Back