TOS lathe in western Canada

Those are very well built machines. Good price. I have The 14" version, and it's a beast. Mike

a great buy! you should jump on it if in person it looks good.

Maybe I’m being picky but I really don’t won’t that handle configuration. Can’t stand it that way

I've been waiting many years to be the first in line to buy a certain 15" lathe that I adore, so I get it about configuration. If you compare a newGrizzily or whatever lathe at 5K and th TOS lathe, well no contest... Of course you need to get what will make you happy.

BTW, thefirst time I used the 15 incher, I hated it, but over the past 30 years I have grown to love it...

i've used quite a few lathes over the years, and there are the ones you'll hop on to turn a diameter or bore and the ones you prefer for things like threading up to a shoulder. i'm sure someone would get used to anything, but its kind of like buying right handed golf clubs when you're a lefty. i've never personally used a TOS but have read a few times on here that they're good. if someone is reasonably close and at the usual exchange rate it might be an even better deal for someone south of the border. on another note, newer lathes aren't really even a consideration for me, but for some reason neither are those handle set ups. maybe i haven't been on the market long enough. if i haven't picked up a lathe in a year from now it might be a completely different story.

sure! you should get what you like! My experience is that I got used to that darn 15" and can't get her out of my mind...

i'm too lazy to search dabbler. what lathe do you fancy?

Ill give you my take on the handle on the right , I've run set up and used I don't know how many lathes. But on one large lathe I used we had to use the handle to finish to the set depth , well when red and purple chips land on and in you hand you know why the handles on the right. By choice if I could I'd get the right side model. Shouldn't make a difference to a machinist. We use what we have.

Back