Total Lunar Eclipse

F

Firestopper

Forum Guest
Register Today
Broke out the telescope to check out the total lunar eclipse, Then I got the idea of using my iPhone to snap some shots to share it with you all. Trying to line up the camera phone was less than ideal but I managed to take these.
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2659.JPGIMG_2664.JPGIMG_2663.JPG
Totality, sort of.....
IMG_2652.JPG
Gona look into a phone adaptor for future opportunities.
Pretty cool stuff
Enjoy your day everyone!
Paco

another couple of minutes here before totality.
Took the scope into the front street and had all the neighbors round.
They are good shots for through the eyepiece, my phone wouldnt take anything.

Haha, I was hoping to hear from you savrin. I had a feeling you would be looking up but wasn't sure of your viewing location being south of the equator. Just the wife and dogs out back looking up. The phone method was a PITA to get into view/focus plus track the rotation. I think I might make a phone adaptor from scrap aluminum.
Take care mate,
Paco

You bet Robert,
Seems like folks into precision work enjoy the cosmos as well:cool:.
Peace,
Paco

Neat Pictures!
A smartphone held up to an eyepiece...? Just consider what astronomers went through in the early 1900's to get a picture.

OK, everyone still here? Is the earth still revolving? Pheeew we made it! Some of the doomsday articles that popped up in the newsfeed were interesting to say the least.

I got up early to see it but the sky was completely overcast, no moon to be seen here. :blue:
Great shots Paco, thanks

Haha, I was hoping to hear from you savrin. I had a feeling you would be looking up but wasn't sure of your viewing location being south of the equator. Just the wife and dogs out back looking up. The phone method was a PITA to get into view/focus plus track the rotation. I think I might make a phone adaptor from scrap aluminum.
Take care mate,
Paco
Thanks Paco, I just stayed up till the maximum at 11:30.

OK, everyone still here? Is the earth still revolving? Pheeew we made it! Some of the doomsday articles that popped up in the newsfeed were interesting to say the least.

I find it difficult to comprehend those people are actually human with some of the absurd crap they spout although I do find it very amusing how stupid they are.
A couple of facts for those who may have wondered what all this was about.
Blue Moon - The Moon takes 27.3 days to orbit Earth, but the lunar phase cycle (from new Moon to new Moon) is 29.5 days. As some of our months have 31 days then when a full moon falls at the beginning then another full moon will happen at the end of the month. It has no astronomical significance and it doesnt turn blue. The next blue moon is on march 31 this year then we have to wait till Oct 31 2020.
Supermoon - A supermoon is a full moon at its closest point to Earth (perigee) during its orbit, while the supermoon will look larger and give off more light on January 31 than a regular full moon, the difference is virtually impossible to detect with naked eye. The next supermoons will fall in 2019, on January 21, February 19 and March 21. The term super moon was coined by an astrologer (not you will note an astronomer) making another dumb prediction.
Lunar eclipse - A total lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth's shadow moves across the Moon, blocking out the light from the Sun. There are usually about two per year but are not always visible to every country depending upon the day/night cycle in that country.
The next one for us will be 27/28 July this year
Blood moon - During a lunar eclipse when the suns light has to pass through the earths atmosphere to illuminate the moon the light filtering and bending properties of our atmosphere cause that light to turn reddish, just like awesome sunsets.
It only really shows when close to totality.

Maybe as this event was a super blue blood moon it should have been called a Royal Moon :laughing:

I would have liked to have viewed the super blue blood moon but it was overcast, had a great view of last years solar eclipse, however.

Back