Total Newb, Rushing Down Another Rabbit Hole!

Here are some counterfeit parts i reverse engineered from manufactured parts :grin:

on the left the factory part, on the right my prototype copy
IMG_3754.jpg

on the left, the factory part, on the right my copy

IMG_3755.jpg
IMG_3756.jpg

for more of what i'm up to,
here is a link to my tinkercad page

Last edited:
Brino, I looked through the links you provided above and used up my quota of 'likes' for this month.

God the stair stepping looks like you recorded a CRT tv screen of a 1990 era Super Mario Bros video game with a VHS camera! Can you sand that stuff? The M8 bolts - can you actually use them in any practical sense - like for an oil drain plug? Will they deform/melt? I just dont know what 3D printing is right now - is it for bling or can I make a worm gear for my 1905 Seneca Falls Lathe ?

God the stair stepping looks like you recorded a CRT tv screen of a 1990 era Super Mario Bros video game with a VHS camera! Can you sand that stuff? The M8 bolts - can you actually use them in any practical sense - like for an oil drain plug? Will they deform/melt? I just dont know what 3D printing is right now - is it for bling or can I make a worm gear for my 1905 Seneca Falls Lathe ?
most of the prints have been at the low quality settings, the prints can be made with finer printing settings.
i'm not sure if can be sanded successfully

the m8 bolts are 80% air as they were printed.
the nuts and bolts could be used for low stress binding, but i'd reprint them in nylon or delrin if i was serious about using them.
PLA temperature constraints would not favor these bolts for oil plugs on IC engines, but there are practical applications.

if you were to make an oversized print in PLA, you could take that print, pack it in green sand and pour your favorite molten alloy - bronze, aluminum, iron, or whatever you like- and cast a real part as a lost plastic process
plus there is plenty of bling to print too! :grin:

i'm finding the 3d printer very helpful in replacement part product development for retrofitting obsolete & overly expensive factory parts for machinery i maintain and raise from the dead

Just a point of information....

i made an upgrade to the motherboard, due to sound output.
the ender3 makes a lot of electronic noise in operation.

i found an upgrade motherboard that eliminates all the noise, the V1.1.5 silent board.
the cost was $45 with freight on ebay

the installation was straightforward ,about 45 minutes in all

let me say that the printer fan is the only noise i hear.
if you want noise reduction, the silent board is the ticket! :grin:

i'm finding the 3d printer very helpful in replacement part product development for retrofitting obsolete & overly expensive factory parts for machinery i maintain and raise from the dead
I needed a 1/2" knockout plug for my sub panel in the shop. Readily available on Thingiverse. Downloaded, sliced and printed in 15 minutes. Got to keep working in the shop, avoid going to the store and spending money on a part that doesn't fit.

IMG-5659.JPG

IMG-5660.JPG

Here is the latest success,
i designed and printed stop and start switch placards for 30mm momentary switches
and just for hoots, i designed and printed the adapters for 22mm switches

here is the placards and adapters...
IMG_3772.jpg

and how they are used!
(this is for a retrofit control box at work 30mm switches)

IMG_3771.jpg

see them here, feel free to download!

:grin:

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Looks good.

It would be nice if the text could be done in another colour, perhaps black, for better contrast.
The few times I have tried sharpie markers on 3D printed objects the ink "runs" along the strands.

I have been considering a dual extruder upgrade for such things.

-brino

Hi Mike,

Looks good.

It would be nice if the text could be done in another colour, perhaps black, for better contrast.
The few times I have tried sharpie markers on 3D printed objects the ink "runs" along the strands.

I have been considering a dual extruder upgrade for such things.

-brino
Thanks Brino!!

I could not agree more!
I was relying on color cue for identification, but if an operator is color blind, that would negate color cue.
I’m also very curious about dual extrusion

Back