Total Newb, Rushing Down Another Rabbit Hole!

You can even do this with a single extruder by pausing it when it's time to switch color and changing the filament. Only practical if it will stay one color for each "half" of the print, or you'll go crazy!

hmmmmm.......I wonder if you could do the lettering in negative, that is, print them as recesses on the plate.
and then print the letters standalone in another colour and insert them into the "holes".
Like a jig-saw puzzle or "inlay" on fine wood working.
Of course, dealing with the tolerances of both parts might drive you nuts....

-brino

i had a chance to see a 3d printer, a little too close.
it captured my imagination, but thrust the spear of doubt upon my thoughts.
how can i 3d print something???
i have experience with motor controls and plc industrial thingy's- but i have no experience in g-code or co-ordinate multi-axis control.
that is where the doubt came in, how can i print something if i don't know the first thing about it???
.......clipped
Motor Controls & PLCs?, and you were concerned with 3D printing and a little G-Code...?
yeah - riiiiiight. Gimme a break. :grin:
By next spring I can't even begin to imagine what you will have come up with.
I like the AXA Tool Holder holders.
So many cool things that can be knocked out for use in the shop alone, not to mention other items (as shown).

Prusa.
Multi- material capability. Prusa.
Mesh leveling out of the box. Prusa.
Awesome support. Prusa.
One of the largest and most respected 3d printer companies out there. Prusa.

Yeah, I like my Prusa. sure the prusa probably cost more but by the time you're done upgrading all of these other machines price point is most likely very similar.

As Ulma Doctor is finding out the possibilities for a 3D printer are almost endless. I printed an adapter for a dust collection hose on my belt and Disc Sander. I am into large-scale radio controlled aircraft and helicopters and the ability to make scale Parts is endless.

Also, for the folks that are looking for an extremely powerful CAD program might I suggest SolidWorks. Yes normally it is $5,000 but if you join Experimental Aircraft Association for $50 a year you can download SolidWorks for free. It is a student version but otherwise it is the same as what a company would purchase. The only difference is when you print out a drawing it says student version.

Here is the latest success,
i designed and printed stop and start switch placards for 30mm momentary switches
and just for hoots, i designed and printed the adapters for 22mm switches

here is the placards and adapters...
View attachment 306587

and how they are used!
(this is for a retrofit control box at work 30mm switches)

View attachment 306586

see them here, feel free to download!

:grin:
What, no Sharpie button! :congratulate:

I've got a Flashforge sitting on my bench that an acquaintance 'loaned' me a couple of years ago to 'get it working correctly'.
Then I started reading up about all upgrades, mods, changes, re-engineering that kinda should be done to make it usable.
Haven't ventured down the wabbit hole yet because there just doesn't seem to be the time.

IMG_3826.jpg

i got the G-Code for a couple fans
the fan on the left is nearly perfect, whereas the fan on the right looks really poor
the same machine printed both fans

So you got some bad code for the one on the right? Is there any way to test or tweak the code?

I only use code that I generate/slice myself. If you can get the stl file then do your own slicing. There is almost no way to know what settings or machine that gcode was for. CHEP on YouTube just posted an update on Cura 4.4 settings for the Ender 3. Love my machine..
The only update I did is the Bullseye fan shroud,, nothing else needed. I level once every 8-10 print so the bl touch isn't worth it Imo.

Last edited:
Very hard to tell what exactly went wrong there but...
On the fan on the right, it looks like the print temp may have been too low. Did you compare the temps, travel speeds and support system between the two? What type of material?
I have found that many times the "suggested" print temps or speed for example in Cura or other slicing software do not work well. I routinely bump temps up, including bed temp. If you watch the print closely from the beginning, you can see early on (usually) whether the settings are going to work.

Back