Total Newb, Rushing Down Another Rabbit Hole!

Yeah, other people's profiles can only be considered starting points. It's doubtful that the same one would work for everyone, even if it's the same printer. Too many variables.

It's hard to tell what's going on, even zoomed in. I'm assuming it was printed in the orientation that we're seeing? Which one was printed first?
Edit: just realized you got the Gcode, not the STL files. There's the problem.

Very hard to tell what exactly went wrong there but...
On the fan on the right, it looks like the print temp may have been too low. Did you compare the temps, travel speeds and support system between the two? What type of material?
I have found that many times the "suggested" print temps or speed for example in Cura or other slicing software do not work well. I routinely bump temps up, including bed temp. If you watch the print closely from the beginning, you can see early on (usually) whether the settings are going to work.
all things were equal, both printed PLA, @205°C and 40°c bed ,on the same machine. same printing speed and sliced exactly the same on Cura 4.4.1

Yeah, other people's profiles can only be considered starting points. It's doubtful that the same one would work for everyone, even if it's the same printer. Too many variables.

It's hard to tell what's going on, even zoomed in. I'm assuming it was printed in the orientation that we're seeing? Which one was printed first?
Edit: just realized you got the Gcode, not the STL files. There's the problem.
i rarely get the g-code anymore- many didn't work.
i just download .stl's anymore

i was messin' around and designed and printed a sharpening stone holder for a 25x100x10 sharpening stone, i got from ebay
1577911854833.png

IMG_3841.jpg
IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_3839.jpg
IMG_3838.jpg

here is a link so you can print a copy!

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/gcHynb5szx2

enjoy!!!!:grin:

That is a civil engineering scale, not meant for drawing lines with. Only for measuring. I have one as well as an engineering one in various 10th's etc

Hi Mike,

Looks good.

It would be nice if the text could be done in another colour, perhaps black, for better contrast.
The few times I have tried sharpie markers on 3D printed objects the ink "runs" along the strands.

I have been considering a dual extruder upgrade for such things.

-brino

With many slicers you can define a layer at which to do a filament change (or more than one if you wish). With raised (or indented) text this can work extremely well. I tried a few combinations and the raised text is more visible, the indented text has a narrow viewing angle. Not all printers support the filament change G-Code. Prusa Slicer and Prusa Mark 3 do support it.

The new Prusa Mini is a new lower cost slightly smaller printer that has great support and doesn't require all the hacking that the really cheap printers often need.

The Artillery Sidewinder X1 is a large CR10 size printer at a really low price point with good hardware.

Lots of choices...

the madness only increases as time goes on...

i upgraded to the Ender 5 and i'm totally satisfied with the speed, performance and printing quality
i would have rather had the ender 5 to start with, it was just a night and day difference.
the ender3 is great, but you need to constantly fiddle with something or other it seems
the ender 5 doesn't seem as dependent on operator intimacy to function.
i have only leveled the printer once since i set it up , (on set up btw) and haven't had to re-level since
i have run a 2.2 lb spool of PLA+ and produced more than 50 high quality prints , and faster on the Ender5
the difference between machines is night and day, the cost differential is negligible, if you want to print instead of fiddle around.

here is my latest print from the ender5

i created a chuck key holder on TinkerCad for my Hercus ARH Lathe and printed it on the Ender5 in less than 2 hours
it is 30% plastic 70% air, but i could stand on it and not crush it o_O

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

i can post links if there is interest from the peanut gallery

thanks for reading!

Back