Totem Poles- Yeah, I Make Them Too

You have this creative streak in you, Mike. I think it came out cool! Using that buzz cutter attachment is not as easy as it looks, especially as an artist's tool. You done good!
Thank you very much mikey for your kind words! :grin:
it took a few minutes to get the feel of how the saw attachment worked in operation, but it works very well

Nice project!

As a former builder of log homes, I can attest to the wonderful ability of those saw chain wheels to cut.
They seem especially eager to auger into the hand that holds the tool. Glad there was no blood loss.
Thanks Mark,
i had an instance when i was aggressively cutting into the space between the bird's head and the shoulder,
the blade gave a hint of binding, and i had a minor kickback.
luckily i was wearing gloves, and even more luckily there were no injuries- just a oh-shinola moment

I know exactly what you are talking about Mike. There is the stuff you gotta do and then there's creative stuff that just bubbles up. I always have a couple of those on the side that my mind goes to to take me off of the "gotta do". For most of my life it was playing music, it was creative, it was my passion. That went away and machining projects now fills that void. It is not what my job is so its my happy place when slogging through doing the rote production work I do during the week.
i sure can't think of a better happy place than in the shop! :big grin:

Is there any significance between you/your family and the different images like a true totem or are they just snippets from the imagination?
no, there is absolutely no significance to the creatures of this totem
i'm not exactly sure what 2 of the animals were,
i (poorly) copied the idea from a highly pixelated picture
one appears to be a penguin- but penguins live in the south pole, the Inuit live in the North
one appears to be a seal or walrus- but it lacks definition in the present form to decide
the Eagle was the only intelligible animal

thanks for looking!!

Back