Touch DRO features compared to Chinese DRO

Thanks MSDO .... DROpros seem to be excellent of course ...but the prices are pretty high for my hobby mill/drill.

I bought the touch DRO system last year when I ordered my PM-12x36t and it just don’t work well. I have not used it because of the instability of the system. It just flips out randomly I even wired a dedicated circut with only the Blue DRO box on it at the time I had the entire shop rewiried with its own feed from the pole, and grounding system professionally up dated with shop wide supressor and 200 amp service done. That included a new ground rod at the shop. No more light flicker when I powerup the equipment in the shop. I am using a Samsung 10” android tablet, I have tried different wall warts, nothing seams to work with the system. I’m looking to get another DRO Pros for the lathe, their mill system on my PM-932-PDF mill works flawless even with the VFD 3ph motor I installed last year. I even bought 2 large battery packs to run the the igage extreme accuracy 35-8xx-A scales. The battery packs are the PAVPower 3500 mAh versons which will run the system weeks with out recharge. I said these Touch DRO systems just aren’t ready for use on the equipment in my shop.
Thanks
CH

Last edited:
I bought the touch DRO system last year when I ordered my PM-12x36t and it just don’t work well. I have not used it because of the instability of the system. It just flips out randomly I even wired a dedicated circut with only the Blue DRO box on it at the time I had the entire shop rewiried with its own feed from the pole, and grounding system professionally up dated with shop wide supressor and 200 amp service done. That included a new ground rod at the shop. No more light flicker when I powerup the equipment in the shop. I am using a Samsung 10” android tablet, I have tried different wall warts, nothing seams to work with the system. I’m looking to get another DRO Pros for the lathe, their mill system on my PM-932-PDF mill works flawless even with the VFD 3ph motor I installed last year. I even bought 2 large battery packs to run the the igage extreme accuracy 35-8xx-A scales. The battery packs are the PAVPower 3500 mAh versons which will run the system weeks with out recharge. I said these Touch DRO sstems just aren’t eady for use on the equipment in my shop.
Thanks
CH

I used Shars (Shahe-made, I'm told) scales on both my lathe and mill with touchDRO. I tried different wall warts, and some were better than others, but I ultimately found that I had to open up the scale heads and add ceramic decoupling caps to the power supply rails. It's a DIY kit, so it didn't bother me to have to do that kind of thing, but it's not for everyone. I have 7" Amazon Fire tablets on both, and the only problem that I have is that they drop the Bluetooth connection from time to time and I have to kill and restart the app, or restart the tablets, to make it reconnect. TouchDRO would work better on a higher-resolution tablet for the workspace display, but I've managed so far.

I wouldn't use touchDRO for a commercial application where time is money, but for a certain subset of hobbyists it's a good thing, and very capable. It would be nice if Yuriy would put out an update, though.

I decided against TouchDRO ....because of problems that I have heard regarding it and because when you add it up the costs for Chinese DRO's compare favorably. I actually went one step up though because I liked the idea of having speed and feed rates from the DRO. I found a good deal on an Easson ES-12 and went with that. It has that feature. It is not installed yet ...hopefully in the next week.

I went with TouchDRO a couple of years ago because at the time it was the cheap option and I saw the potential of new features being added which was unlikely if I went with a Chinese DRO.
Chinese DROs have come down in price so I don't think cost is now not an advantage, and development of the TouchDRO software seems to have stalled a bit which negates the second advantage (but that could always change).

But that still leaves the fact that the iGauging scales are not the 'cheap' option that they used to be (especially in my part of the world once you add in shipping) so the Chinese DRO are looking like a better option. It is ridiculous that you can ship something from China to South Africa for next to nothing, but from the USA to South Africa starts at about $50 and goes up from there.

Touch DRO can be used as the display for more than one machine by choosing to select the one you want to read. If you have a lathe and mill one display is all you need. Also if your display goes belly up a quick trip to Walmart will get an inexpensive replacement.

Roy

That would be great if it worked. ;)

It was/is just weird because the first message was
"Dear,

Sorry for the mistake from our warehouse, how about return to us and exchange a 3 axis display? Sorry again.

Regards,
Wilson"

and I thought, hmmmm, how about not. How about you send me the correct one. So I asked for a prepaid shipping label and here is what I got next..
"Dear
Please send the single display to our address as following, needs not send other parts(cable, manual etc.), only display is fine, please send by post office, which is cheaper.

Our address is

Name: Huang Wei
Add: 406 Room, Huayuan Building, Guangtai Road 307#, Nancheng District, Dongguan, Guangdong, China
Post code: 523073
Tel: 008615338371895

Any problems please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Wilson"

So now I opened a dispute asking for some money back. I would rather he just send me the correct head and be done with it.

Oops... I thought I was actually in another thread.... Sorry for cluttering your thread up.
How did you go? I usually find to be firm, when it is their mistake. Like you, sending stuff back seems to cost a motza.
Stand on your digs.
Hope it went well.

Back