Touch DRO features compared to Chinese DRO

A question I have too is if one already has glass scales will the Blu DRO interface with them?

The only issue I have had with it was flicker but that was solved with a better wall wort. I may be wrong but I don't think my scales are acurate to tenths so I don't use the tenths display just the thousandth with no flicker. I think that the flicker I get in the tenths display is some what due to lack of rigidity.
Forgot about that issue. Definitely want to use iron core wall warts.

Richard!
Haha... small world. I just sold you that Albrecht chuck.

Anyhow, I was in the same boat as you and received some advice on here (H-M) that I should just get a Chinese 3 axis DRO. So I ordered one from Siton Technology store https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1021179 It is run by Wilson Huang which most people have had good luck with. I however, have not. I received my DRO on Friday and he sent a 2 axis head instead of the 3 axis that I ordered. He wants to ship it back to him (just the head) at my expense, which will be a little over $50. I opened a dispute with AliExpress but I am not expecting much from it.

So I may entertain the BluDro again. The big draw for me when looking at it originally is the lack of wires running up to the head unit and having a nice display. Beyond that, I am not sure of any benefit. In fact, having the bluetooth connect every time could be problematic IMHO because that protocol is not perfect. If I were to do it over again, I would order a DRO from Precision Matthews and be done. He takes care of any issues and has fantastic service. You could also go the DRO Pros route, but they are expensive for same Chinese DROs that you can get from AliExpress, but then again they take care of any issues.
A rather rambling post but hope this helps.
Give it another try at getting through to Wilson. I had an issue with one end cap and the wipers on my 'X'-Axis.
The first couple of emails messages I had the gut feeling that I was dealing with an associate / underling and they use Wilson's name on the replies, the third message was the gem, completely different 'language' and tone, and he shipped me the proper length wipers and a couple of end caps.
It would behoove him to just leave the (2)-Axis with you and then in the event of a customer stateside not receiving their head he could ask you to forward it to them. (how's that for some far fetched thinking?)

Reactions: Z2V
Thanks Neil. I wonder if someone here could address the BluDRO connection and give some feedback on dependability. I know abut wireless problems :) I will check out that suggestion regarding PM.

The Albrecht BTW works great. The only issue really was that that shank does not appear to be a JT6 because I bought wedges for that and they did not work. Instead I bought an R8 5/8" collet and cut the shank down and all is good with that setup. I have a feeling that the shank is actually a JT4. Thanks again for all you do. Richard
I have theolder version of TouchDRO so I can't comment on the features. I originally used my MotoX smart phone for the readout and had no problems with the Bluetooth connection. I have since purchased an RCA tablet and the connection will drop out from time to time. My understanding is that the tablet will drop the connection if it sees a period of non-use. I also have my LG smart phone set up to display and it doesn't drop so I'm thinking that the tablet is at fault. It is irritating enough that I am thinking about using the USB connection option.

Give it another try at getting through to Wilson. I had an issue with one end cap and the wipers on my 'X'-Axis.
The first couple of emails messages I had the gut feeling that I was dealing with an associate / underling and they use Wilson's name on the replies, the third message was the gem, completely different 'language' and tone, and he shipped me the proper length wipers and a couple of end caps.
It would behoove him to just leave the (2)-Axis with you and then in the event of a customer stateside not receiving their head he could ask you to forward it to them. (how's that for some far fetched thinking?)

That would be great if it worked. ;)

It was/is just weird because the first message was
"Dear,

Sorry for the mistake from our warehouse, how about return to us and exchange a 3 axis display? Sorry again.

Regards,
Wilson"

and I thought, hmmmm, how about not. How about you send me the correct one. So I asked for a prepaid shipping label and here is what I got next..
"Dear
Please send the single display to our address as following, needs not send other parts(cable, manual etc.), only display is fine, please send by post office, which is cheaper.

Our address is

Name: Huang Wei
Add: 406 Room, Huayuan Building, Guangtai Road 307#, Nancheng District, Dongguan, Guangdong, China
Post code: 523073
Tel: 008615338371895

Any problems please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Wilson"

So now I opened a dispute asking for some money back. I would rather he just send me the correct head and be done with it.

Oops... I thought I was actually in another thread.... Sorry for cluttering your thread up.

I have the Blu set up and like it. I am running it with Igaging stainless magnetic scales. I use a cheap amazon Fire table $45 and it works very well. I am about 60' from my router and outside the house in my shop blue tooth and internet connectivity has not been an issue so far. The only issue I have had with it was flicker but that was solved with a better wall wort. I may be wrong but I don't think my scales are acurate to tenths so I don't use the tenths display just the thousandth with no flicker. I think that the flicker I get in the tenths display is some what due to lack of rigidity.
It is my understanding that the magnetic referred to is in reference to the magnets on the back of the displays and that the scales are actually capacitive similar to those used in digital calipers. The capacitive scales had a native 10 micron resolution which is .0004". If you set the display to read foour decimal places, you will see it update in .0004" increments.

RJ ...that is what I understood as well. On the Bluetooth ...I cannot see why you would have to have an internet connection for it. I did not recognize the USB connection option ...I will look at that too. But the main issue to me is are there real advantages to the BlueDRO over the Chinese DRO.

There is no need for an internet connection in using the Touch DRO. Yuriy mentioned the USB connection as an option but I haven't seen any documentation about it. For example, the connector on my tablet and on the Arduino are both "receive" ports. One using the micro USB and the other the mini USB. I haven't found a cable with those connectors. Nor have I seen a wiring diagram for the cable. I can make an educated guess but I would hate to damage either of the devices.

The micro ports at least can be both. It's called USB-OTG (on the go). It lets the device become a host and connect to normal devices. It usually just requires a cable adapter. Not every device can do it, but most in the past 5 years or so can.

Thanks once again ...still waiting on some specific features that the whole TouchDRO setup has over the alternatives.

Back