Touch DRO on PM-25, or..??

Dawn

Registered
Registered
Looking around at different DRO's I am kind of liking the Touch DRO system. Does anyone have this on their mills here?

Or, there are some rather inexpensive options listed on ebay. What are your opinions and experiences?

Thanks!

My mill is cnc so no experience installing DRO's on my mill, but I wanted some on my lathe and didn't want to spend a lot because I wasn't sure I really needed them on the lathe. Still don't know that I "need" them but they are handy and simplify a few things. Bought some of the inexpensive iGaging DRO's off Amazon. Mounting wasn't too bad and they seem to be accurate, repeatable and I've had no issues so far. I've no complaints considering the price.

I bought my DROs from 88490755 on ebay. They are the more typical style. I looked at Touch DRO a lot, but with the pricing on the Chinese units it's tough to go that route. I figure the glass scales aren't likely to have issues, and they should be able to be modified to work with Touch DRO later if I have problems with the display units. One thing that led me this way was that longer igauging scales get less accurate over their length. The short ones are fine, but longer units have more error. Glass scales don't do that. For the price of a set of igauging scales on ebay, I could buy the full DRO kit, and there are a lot of reviews here saying they like the Chinese DROs. There are a lot of sellers offering them.

On the down side, the instructions are written in the finest Chinglish which makes them somewhat difficult to use. That said, it's better than my Chinese, so I guess they win there. They all seem to be made by the same couple places though, so I suspect I can get help with them from the forum here and via YouTube etc..

I should also mention that I haven't installed them yet. That's hopefully soon. Some quick testing shows them working well. I just need to finish up some existing projects before I can get them installed.

You can look through this guys store. A number of H-M members have purchased from him with seemingly good results. I was going to pull the trigger on one but then summer came and my part time job went to zero time, so maybe next fall...

Ali Express Siton Store

...the instructions are written in the finest Chinglish which makes them somewhat difficult to use. That said, it's better than my Chinese, so I guess they win there.

Hahahaa! Mine's not so good either....:grin big:

I used the smaller scales on my PM25 (G30?) and those worked well. The regular sized scales might me a problem, I'm not sure though. Might want to do some research on this, and hopefully others here will chime in on this as well. :)

I used the smaller scales on my PM25 (G30?) and those worked well. The regular sized scales might me a problem, I'm not sure though. Might want to do some research on this, and hopefully others here will chime in on this as well. :)

Hi,

"Smaller scales"....? Was this on the Touch DRO system or the ebay complete units? Thanks!

Mine was a different vendor/system (DroPros), but the scale size (G30) is a fairly common offering that is a smaller scale than the full-sized ones and should be offered by many DRO vendors. This is a semi-educated guess on my part, but really all you have to do is contact the DRO vendor and ask them if they offer the smaller G30 glass scale.

Hope this helps. :)

Back