TouchDRO "3.22.11 Beta, Build 2022-11-24" Is Published

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate,
I just published a new build of the app (should be available for installation in a few hours, once Google approves it). There are quite a few tweaks in the last two builds (11-22 and 11-24):
First and foremost, touch probe support for edge finding is fully done. There is a number of settings that can be tweaked when using a touch probe. I am working on the manual page (should have it posted by the end of the weekend), but the descriptions in the UI should be self explanatory. How to use the edge finder function is explained here: TouchDRO Edge Finder Function
I use a DrewTronics touch probe (this one: https://drewtronics.org/product/s5000led-wired-cnc-probe/) and with good technique and TouchDRO glass scale adapter it's repeatable to 0.0002". I have the app set to take 5 samples and alert when the max spread is over 0.0002".

probe-settings.png

Second set of changes is around Sub-Datum UI. A few people complained about multi-selection being clumsy, so I made a few changes there:
  • Activating a sub-datum now also selects it, so you can edit/delete/repeat without long-pressing.
  • Sub-datum name now increments correctly when you delete sub-datums, but resets when you clear the workspaces.
  • When multiple sub-datums are stacked on top of each other, graphical view will display the selected one on top (before the green could be overlayed by inactive white graphic)
Finally, I tweaked the axis detail dialog in "Lathe" mode. Z axis details dialog now shows the thread pitch/thread count (in metric/imperial modes) and the calculation is more stable than in was in V2.5.

z-axis-details.png

Apparently many people don't realize that you can use tachometer output in "manual" mode and still get the chip load and TPI calculation. When tachometer is enabled, you can set pulses per revolution to 0 in the settings. You can then set RPM by pressing the tachometer readout and typing the RPM (from your machines RPM chart, for example).

Please let me know what you think (once you get a change to play with the new build).

Regards
Yuriy

I signed up on the Google play store to become a beta tester. It took a few hours to download but once it was done I still do not have the new version. Do I need to delete the original version? If so, then what do I do to get access to the Beta test version?

There are two testing tacks. If you clicked "Become beta tester" in google play store, you are on the public beta track, which gets updates less frequently (once they are well tested in the "closed" beta track). If you want to get the "bleeding edge" builds, follow the instructions on this page to opt into the closed testing: https://www.touchdro.com/resources/info/touchdro-v3.html (it's not really closed. Google just calls it that...)

There are two testing tacks. If you clicked "Become beta tester" in google play store, you are on the public beta track, which gets updates less frequently (once they are well tested in the "closed" beta track). If you want to get the "bleeding edge" builds, follow the instructions on this page to opt into the closed testing: https://www.touchdro.com/resources/info/touchdro-v3.html (it's not really closed. Google just calls it that...)
Do I have to be running a specific software in order for Either options? I followed the instructions for the public data track and I see no difference at all. again, do I have to delete the current version and reinstall?

Yuri, I am running version 2 on an old gen 3 fire tablet. I can't get the play store on it so I side loaded the apk. it runs fine. But since I have subscribed to the v3 beta on my phone I have not been able to locate the apk so that I can transfer it to my fire tablet. does the beta run in a protected location that is different from the production release?

Yuri, I am running version 2 on an old gen 3 fire tablet. I can't get the play store on it so I side loaded the apk. it runs fine. But since I have subscribed to the v3 beta on my phone I have not been able to locate the apk so that I can transfer it to my fire tablet. does the beta run in a protected location that is different from the production release?
I think I answered my own question. Android is restricting me from copying apk without root. Guess it's time for a new tablet.

I think I answered my own question. Android is restricting me from copying apk without root. Guess it's time for a new tablet.
It looks like that old of a Fire can't install the Play Store anymore. But you might be able to find a slightly newer one that does. I have the Play Store on a 2015 Kindle 7 that works and also a newer HD10. You might be able to find a 5th Gen Fire for short money that would work. Looks like it has to be FireOS 5+ to work.

Back