TouchDRO questions

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I've been reading up on TouchDRO and I like the basic idea of it. I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with various scales and suppliers for the parts. I'd buy the board from the source, so that's covered. I have some old Android devices that would work well for the display. But I would need scales and there seem to be options all over the place.

Igauging seems popular, at least for price. There seem to be reliability issues for some people though...

Aliexpress has some decent looking 3 axis setups for about $250. Includes a display even. From vendors people here have mentioned having good experiences with. I imagine most of them are supported if I wanted to use TouchDRO for the display though.

I'm looking to use it on a PM 1022 or 1030 lathe. It seems like if I were to use the 1022, the ebay igauging sets that come with a 6/12/24 inch scales might be a good fit, for example.

Any others to consider?

I haven't had any issues with either the TouchDRO or the iGaging scales failing in more than two years. I did notice that leaving the readout on continously resulted in a burn similar to what used to happen with CRT's but it isn't objectionable when using the TouchDRO. I used the iGaging scales because of their size. I have a 10 x 22 lathe as well and the big issue was the x axis scale. I was able to fit it in a way that didn't compromise use of the lathe. Here is the thread on my install.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-lathe-dro-install.34106/

Thanks for the thread! Those pics are very helpful, as is your review that the scales still work well.

Back