TouchDRO V "New" Status Update

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi all,
I started work on the next version of the TouchDRO application now that all of the other major fires have been put out (or put off, in some cases). Here is the summary of the current state of development: TouchDRO V3 Status Update. I am planning to post frequent-ish status updates as new functionality is finished. My goal is to get this ready for beta testing by mid-to-late Q4.

I've made some major changes to how the UI and the core of the application work to make it more flexible and take better advantage of the graphical capabilities. Going through my notes, it looks like the UI changes address at least 3/4 of the common complaints I've received.

Here are some screenshots:

This is the main readout screen with the sub-datum list expanded.
touchdro-main-screen.jpg

And here it is with the list collapsed
touchdro-main-screen-collapsed.jpg

This is the improved "Graphical Layout View"

touchdro-graphical-layout-screen.jpg

This area still needs a lot of work. For example, I need to add the ability to switch the projection plane, as well as a dedicated "lathe" mode.

If you have feedback or opinions (good or bad), I would love to hear them.
Regards
Yuriy

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Yuriy, the new user interface looks really promising!

Great work Yuriy! Can't wait to try it.

I don't have one of these yet, but I remember when this project first started. It's really come a long way! :clapping:

Hi Yuriy,
I see one wish item already addressed - the ability to zero an axis on the main panel.
Is there room to add a 1/2 button on the bottom row of icons to be able to 1/2 an axis without a sub-menu?
Hit the 1/2 button then hit the axis to halve.

My main interaction is axis zero, axis 1/2 and to a somewhat lesser frequency axis set a value.
Anything to make those easier is welcome!

Maybe an option setting to turn off the SFM warnings too?

Thanks!
Jim Daniels

Hi all,
I started work on the next version of the TouchDRO application now that all of the other major fires have been put out (or put off, in some cases). Here is the summary of the current state of development: TouchDRO V3 Status Update. I am planning to post frequent-ish status updates as new functionality is finished. My goal is to get this ready for beta testing by mid-to-late Q4.

I've made some major changes to how the UI and the core of the application work to make it more flexible and take better advantage of the graphical capabilities. Going through my notes, it looks like the UI changes address at least 3/4 of the common complaints I've received.

Here are some screenshots:

This is the main readout screen with the sub-datum list expanded.
View attachment 371405
And here it is with the list collapsed
View attachment 371406

This is the improved "Graphical Layout View"

View attachment 371407

This area still needs a lot of work. For example, I need to add the ability to switch the projection plane, as well as a dedicated "lathe" mode.

If you have feedback or opinions (good or bad), I would love to hear them.
Regards
Yuriy
Hi Yuriy, I like the improvements. They look very user friendly

Dear Yuriy,
Just a suggestion: is it possible for the user to select which buttons are displayed to the right of the read out value in the main display?
In your example it shows 3 buttons (zero, ABS/INC, "units') next to each axis readout.
If I were able to choose which buttons were displayed I would select zero, ABS/INC, 1/2 as I only occasionally use different units on each axis.

In other words, user can configure 3x "favourite" functions to display on the main screen for each function, while the other functions remain accessible in the sub menu for each axis.

Another suggestion: I currently use 1x tablet across 2x TouchDROs one is on a mill and the other on a lathe. In the current SW you can assign a machine type and name to a "place in the preference bank" (eg A, B, C etc). Given that each of these is assigned a name, it would be nice when switching machines to select the machine name assigned rather than A, B , C etc. In my case select the "mill" or "lathe" that I have set up.

For lathe mode, it it possible to add a setting to default to radius vs diameter? like the option to start up with metric units vs inch.

I really like where you are taking the app: your improvements look great, and I cannot wait to try it out.
Regards
Steven

Just a suggestion: is it possible for the user to select which buttons are displayed to the right of the read out value in the main display?
In your example it shows 3 buttons (zero, ABS/INC, "units') next to each axis readout.
If I were able to choose which buttons were displayed I would select zero, ABS/INC, 1/2 as I only occasionally use different units on each axis.
I agree regarding the units, as a metric person I very seldom use imperial units so that space would be better used for the 1/2 button or some other function.

Dear Yuriy,

In other words, user can configure 3x "favourite" functions to display on the main screen for each function, while the other functions remain accessible in the sub menu for each axis.

Another suggestion: I currently use 1x tablet across 2x TouchDROs one is on a mill and the other on a lathe. In the current SW you can assign a machine type and name to a "place in the preference bank" (eg A, B, C etc). Given that each of these is assigned a name, it would be nice when switching machines to select the machine name assigned rather than A, B , C etc. In my case select the "mill" or "lathe" that I have set up.

For lathe mode, it it possible to add a setting to default to radius vs diameter? like the option to start up with metric units vs inch.

I really like where you are taking the app: your improvements look great, and I cannot wait to try it out.
Regards
Steven
Steven,
Thank you for the detailed feedback.
I think I addressed the last two items in the new app.
I will post some screenshots for the preference banks in the next day or two.
For radius/diameter there is no setting, but the app now remembers the last selected setting until you change it.

For the first suggestion (configurable axis buttons) I will need to experiment a bit to see how much work that would be. I contemplated removing the units button from there already, since I can't really think of a good use case when a person would want to have one axis in inches and another in millimeters. I might be able to make just the last button configurable relatively easily.

Thank you
Yuriy

Back