Touchup Paint for PM products

Having sold industrial painting equipment to manufacturers world wide, powder, water borne as well as solvent based, the paint chips because of poor pretreatment. Having gone into several Chinese manufacturers all you have to do is see what they do or don’t do and you would understand. I have paint chipping around fastener holes, no body filler anywhere around, just poor pretreatment. Good paint jobs versus bad paint jobs all has to do with paint adhesion.

Sorry, I've done my share of Asian equipment manufacturer tours too, and worked extensively with chemists on paint formulation for performance in industrial applications.. Poor surface preparation can be a major contributing issue and is an issue on these machines. But that's not the end of the story. The paint used is extremely brittle and has no elastomeric or plasticity properties and that contributes to the chipping. Better surface preparation, hard setting filler AND better quality paint are all required to get a durable industrial finish.

There are companies that have machines produced in Taiwan. Likely the same factories that other companies use as a source for Asian milling machines. These companies will provide touch up paint. It should be something that can be sourced.

The soft body filler and brittle paint are a hallmark of these Asian-built machines. Personally, I find it the most frustrating aspect of this equipment. You could always do what I do and strip it down, seal with epoxy to harden the filler and repaint with a material that will stand up to all the solvents and oil. Example: https://flic.kr/s/aHskYxDKzN

David they should hire you! Totally awesome.

Back