TPACtools DRO Bridgeport Mill Install

Yes, that’s how I got to your thread. He had it right in the middle of the description. I read a lot of reviews and posed the question on which unit to buy on some FB groups I belong too and the major complaint was the instructions. It scared me a little but I’m an airplane mechanic and dad is a former tool and die maker so I figured we could do it. I opened everything up yesterday and it all looks pretty good. I read the instructions and studied the pictures provided. I have also printed your thread and pictures.
What caused me to end up with this one was the service comments everyone made. Quick shipping (mine was less than 24 hours). Also that Tom (assume owner) was very responsive.
I do have a question if I could trouble you. I have a 9x42 bed on my BP. The X axis reader he sent only has 30” travel. Is this correct? It seems like I will loose some travel on the far ends of the bed. This may not be a big deal I just don’t know enough about it to know if I should be concerned or not. Looking at pictures it does seem like most applications the reader is about 6” shorter on each side of the bed.
again thank you for your help. I’m sure your detailed thread will save me hours of frustrating work.
Best,
Mike
Yes, Tom has been very responsive when I have wanted to touch base with him on a question/issue. I was VERY surprised when I saw that link to my post when purchasing my second unit for my Induma!

What I do for each of the axises is run travel in both directions as far as it will go. Start with one end and bottom it out. Mark both the slide and the base with a line . Bottom out the axis in the other direction. Then mark the slide where the original mark is on the base. Measure the distance between the two marks on the slide. Now you know the maximum travel of the axis. Then, I mark the middle of the travel by measuring between the two marks, move the slide to that point and determine where to mount the scale based on these three marks. I don't remember right off the top of my head, but you will lose a little travel on each end of the slide as a safety measure so you don't bottom out the travel and damage things.

Make sure to pay attention to the alignment tolerances. X always seems to be the easiest, the Y and Z is the most difficult because the base is no where near flat on either of the machines I have mounted mine to. The scale needs to be aligned IIRC to within 0.003", but also the head must be aligned, square and plum to the scale. This can be a little tricky. I cut out a shim (dense cardboard) in the middle of the air gap tolerance, pushed the read head up to the scale, and secured the head lightly trying not to change its' position. Then I used a dial indicator to make sure it was aligned and tightened it down.

The main thing is don't be in a hurry! Take your time, because it is time well spent. For me and the machines I installed them on anyways, this is NOT a weekend job! I would say if you can finish up 3 axis, complete with the covers and routing/mounting the main unit and cables in two weekends you are doing very good!

If you have any questions don't be reluctant to ask. I'll try to answer the best I can for the experiences I went though installing mine.

Ted

Yes, Tom has been very responsive when I have wanted to touch base with him on a question/issue. I was VERY surprised when I saw that link to my post when purchasing my second unit for my Induma!

What I do for each of the axises is run travel in both directions as far as it will go. Start with one end and bottom it out. Mark both the slide and the base with a line . Bottom out the axis in the other direction. Then mark the slide where the original mark is on the base. Measure the distance between the two marks on the slide. Now you know the maximum travel of the axis. Then, I mark the middle of the travel by measuring between the two marks, move the slide to that point and determine where to mount the scale based on these three marks. I don't remember right off the top of my head, but you will lose a little travel on each end of the slide as a safety measure so you don't bottom out the travel and damage things.

Make sure to pay attention to the alignment tolerances. X always seems to be the easiest, the Y and Z is the most difficult because the base is no where near flat on either of the machines I have mounted mine to. The scale needs to be aligned IIRC to within 0.003", but also the head must be aligned, square and plum to the scale. This can be a little tricky. I cut out a shim (dense cardboard) in the middle of the air gap tolerance, pushed the read head up to the scale, and secured the head lightly trying not to change its' position. Then I used a dial indicator to make sure it was aligned and tightened it down.

The main thing is don't be in a hurry! Take your time, because it is time well spent. For me and the machines I installed them on anyways, this is NOT a weekend job! I would say if you can finish up 3 axis, complete with the covers and routing/mounting the main unit and cables in two weekends you are doing very good!

If you have any questions don't be reluctant to ask. I'll try to answer the best I can for the experiences I went though installing mine.

Ted
Thank you so much.

One other thing. I found that the arrows on the scales that supposedly mark the center of the scale's travel where ALWAYS off! I didn't go by them and marked my own center, by carefully moving the head from end end of the travel to the other, marking each, and identifying the TRUE center of the travel. The arrows were always off on my scales, and not by just a little either! Yeah, I know, I'm anal and a perfectionist...

Ted

One other thing. I found that the arrows on the scales that supposedly mark the center of the scale's travel where ALWAYS off! I didn't go by them and marked my own center, by carefully moving the head from end end of the travel to the other, marking each, and identifying the TRUE center of the travel. The arrows were always off on my scales, and not by just a little either! Yeah, I know, I'm anal and a perfectionist...

Ted
Thanks
I’m a self proclaimed rainman myself.

Back