TPACtools DRO Bridgeport Mill Install

Ted this is fantastic,this helps me out so much and I also like that they are here in states

Ted do you remember what videos you watch,or was it on TAPC website?

It wasn't TPACtools website. I watched anything that involved a mill DRO install on YouTube. There are quite a few and you can get a very good idea of how different people have done the installs even though the brand is different. Glass scale DROs are all pretty much the same. Machines vary much more than the different DRO scales do.

Also, just doing a Google search and looking at all the pictures of different installs gives you a lot of ideas.

Ted

Update 2 years later: I'm very happy with this unit and just received my second one that I will be installing on my new to me Induma milling machine. This kit is selling for the same price now as it was when I bought my first one with no sales tax and free shipping.

Ted

Ted, thanks for the update and the great thread. It is much appreciated.

I have been debating between the 4 axis (4 glass scales) and the 3 axis for my Bridgeport. What are your thoughts on the fourth axis?

Best regards,
Goat

I've found that for most of my work I don't use an electronic scale for my spindle travel. I don't use spindle travel to change my depth of cut when milling; I raise the knee. I lock the spindle and leave it set for milling operations. I only use spindle travel for drilling, counter boring, boring, etc..

That said, I do like the idea of having an electronic measurement on my spindle travel for those times when it is handy, but mounting a full blown DRO scale on the mill head wasn't something I desired. I don't want all that bulk (scale, head, covers, cable, etc) mounted on the front of my head.

So, I compromised and use a caliper type scale on my machine. This is a lot smaller and easier to install. It serves the purpose for my infrequent use. TPACtools sells (2) different 4 axis DRO kits... one with the caliper scale for the spindle and one with a full DRO scale. I went with the caliper type.

Here's a picture of my Bridgeport install.

PXL_20201105_191141397.jpg

I still can use my rigid quill stop, which I set for counterboring and repetitive depth work. I set the stop and lower the quill. Raise the knee up until the tool touches; move the quill up out of the way and set depth with my knee Z DRO.

This combo works great for my use!

Ted

Ted,
Thanks so much for all the valuable information. I just bought the same DRO and plan to install it on my Bridgeport.
Best,
Mike

Glad it helped! Did you notice that the vendor has a link on his site to this post? Must be he liked it too! :)

I've also installed one of these units on my new to me Induma vertical mill as well.

Ted

Glad it helped! Did you notice that the vendor has a link on his site to this post? Must be he liked it too! :)

I've also installed one of these units on my new to me Induma vertical mill as well.

Ted
Yes, that’s how I got to your thread. He had it right in the middle of the description. I read a lot of reviews and posed the question on which unit to buy on some FB groups I belong too and the major complaint was the instructions. It scared me a little but I’m an airplane mechanic and dad is a former tool and die maker so I figured we could do it. I opened everything up yesterday and it all looks pretty good. I read the instructions and studied the pictures provided. I have also printed your thread and pictures.
What caused me to end up with this one was the service comments everyone made. Quick shipping (mine was less than 24 hours). Also that Tom (assume owner) was very responsive.
I do have a question if I could trouble you. I have a 9x42 bed on my BP. The X axis reader he sent only has 30” travel. Is this correct? It seems like I will loose some travel on the far ends of the bed. This may not be a big deal I just don’t know enough about it to know if I should be concerned or not. Looking at pictures it does seem like most applications the reader is about 6” shorter on each side of the bed.
again thank you for your help. I’m sure your detailed thread will save me hours of frustrating work.
Best,
Mike

Back