TPG

Thanks all for the suggestions. I was considering using a router for the motor. I have several, so wouldn't miss it for wood work. A spindle should be no problem. As Tom stated, it's all about the bearings. My primary objective is to focus on ID grinding. I am quoting a couple of parts where it sure would be handy. The part has a two lobed ID of 1.450 diameter with a 0.080 offset. Desired finish is 16 Ra. Since they are offset, honing is out, for at least the second one. So, I am thinking that grinding is the best way to go.

Bodine does make a nice motor that would be good to base a grinder on.

If your primary use is for finishing small ID bores then a quick and easy solution might be the use of a die grinder mounted on the tool rest. I have attached a copy of a Sears catalog that shows one they use to offer. Die grinders and plentiful and not that costly. I think HF even offers one similar to the Sears one.

Benny

Grinder Manual Cover Page - Sears.jpg

Attachments

• Tool-Post Holder Cat No 25846 - Sears Grinder.pdf
    572.4 KB · Views: 4
I have a need to do ID's primarily, and I'll either build a spindle with an extension similar to the style Dumore uses, or possibly purchase one of their accessory spindles and build the rest. I have used a Dumore extensively, and like the way they run. If I build my own spindle, I'll be going with ceramic bearings if I can get the sizes I want.

I don't believe a die grinder will be stable enough. I have a +/- 0.0005 16 Ra finish bore about 3.500 long to do, and it will be interrupted. That would be asking a lot of a die grinder, seems to me.

If I build instead of buying a used one, I'll do a build thread.

Back