Traeger grill

killswitch505

Registered
Registered
So I broke down and bought a pellet pooper..... blasphemy I know.... do any of y’all have have one? If so, have you done any mods? We’re all tinkers in this group figure this would be as good as anywhere to ask.

What a coincidence! My neighbror just brought over the guts of his ailing Traeger cooker and asked me to fix it.
The circuit board had gotten damp and the motors needed oil at first glance. It's up and running now. My
best advice if you own one of these units is to keep the unit dry as the electronics inside will cause trouble
otherwise.

What a coincidence! My neighbror just brought over the guts of his ailing Traeger cooker and asked me to fix it.
The circuit board had gotten damp and the motors needed oil at first glance. It's up and running now. My
best advice if you own one of these units is to keep the unit dry as the electronics inside will cause trouble
otherwise.
Thanks for the heads up!!!! I seen everything was just out in open from the bottom.

i don't have a Traeger, but a good friend of mine bought one last year.

it doesn't have magic powers to make a good cook, but it sure is cool!

I've had one coming up on 4 years. Costco had a company rep in the store. My wife was ready right then to take one home. Didn't buy it that day. I never buy big without research. Looked at reviews on line, most were scary. Didn't buy it. A month or so later was talking to a friend and he was talking about smoked meat, what kind of smoker do you have? Treager of course. Then he tells me that his father, neighbor, boss and a couple of coworkers have them and wouldn't have any other kind. So the next day I was a proud owner of a Treager. I have never looked back, never one problem, only excellent BBQ. I keep mine in the garage. Your going to like your Treager. Bill

ps: be careful who you give the BBQ to, they will never go away.

I got a few friends and neighbors that have 'em, and just love 'em. They never mention one thing about the grill they dislike. It probably hasn't hit you yet, but most of guys I talk to would like to figure out how to make there own pellets....

I have had a pellet grill for a couple years. Camp Chef Woodwind. It’s fantastic. More of a subtle smoke than some other methods but that suits us well. I agree it seems best to keep it out of the rain. Ours lives in a screened-in porch.

Thank y’all for the input!!!! I’ve cooked on her all weekend with great results!!!!

it doesn't have magic powers to make a good cook, but it sure is cool!

It was a really tough buy for me a couple hobbies ago bbq was my thing. I was super active on thesmokering.com fairly active on “the bbq brethren” and a few others all under this same username. So I was super apprehensive as I’ve already two offsets and a UDS. With my uds my go to for most cooks. Being a tinkerer I even built a Pid controller controlling a fan to stoke the fire boxes to keep things easy. I’m not going to lie I’ve gotten a bit lazy, In my defense my job is fairly demanding and I don’t get a lot of free time. The treager seemed easy enough that the girlfriend wouldn’t be intimidated by it if I got called out. I did notice a about a +/-10 degree temp swing. I seen reports of guys getting +/-25 cooking outdoors and poor maintenance being the main factor in that. I was truly floored with its performance this weekend.

Last edited:
Back