Traeger grill

I've owned a large Traeger grill for many years... since the late 90's. I now also own a Green Mountain pellet grill. I wouldn't be without one. I hate the taste of lighter fluid. Propane is a hassle filing tanks, flame up and can be dangerous if you're not careful. Other than a smoker setup which requires careful monitoring, nothing is as simple to use, safe or makes better tasting BBQ. (as you may have guessed I really like them!)

I bought a Yoder 640s pellet grill so we'd have something to cook on when I tore out my kitchen to remodel. I love it. The learning curve was easy and there are huge amounts of great recipes online.

I have always done my grilling on a Weber kettle and smoking in a Weber Smokey Mountain. We also have a gas grill that almost never gets used due to uneven heating a terrible flareups. (working on a fix for that)

After 20+ years of using the smoker I have several recipes perfected but tending a charcoal smoker for 20 hour cooks has gotten old and the older I get the harder it is to function with so little sleep.

Last year I started researching pellet grills and was looking to go that direction until we purchased our retirement home in the mountains which is all electric. I decided I to get a gas smoker that does not require electricity so we have something to use during power outages.

I had a lot of reservations about getting one but ended up with a Masterbuilt ThermoTemp 340. Has a few quirks but so far I have been impressed with how well it holds the temperature and the ease of use.

A totally different cooking process than the WSM and will take some time to tweak the recipes and smoke method but I love the size and easy access it provides to load, unload and clean.

Back