Trailer Decking

dlane

Active User
Registered
Time for a new trailer deck , 12 yo big Tex 7x18 10 pie ,Old wood was green PT
Anyone have suggestions on wood type, fasteners, I'm in a place that everything is overpriced X 3
I've removed the old wood/rot, old screws are still in X members , thinking I'll cut them off flush on X members ,the X members need cleaning , painting they are aprox 2' apart.
What would you replace deck with ?, it will be hauling machine tools from here back to AR. steel to heavy, thinking fir or pine is one stronger ?.
Thanks

PT 2X8's use the above ground grade. Galvanized carriage bolts to hold it down.
A picture would be nice.

*Gator*

i just traded my big aluminum/wood floor in got more than i paid for it 10 years ago.;-)

got a smaller one i can push around easier by my self..5x8 is like a shopping cart ..(all aluminum)

Still need to scrape the growth off ,wire wheel , pressure wash, thinking undercarriage paint ?
On X members . It came with PT pine self tapper torx screws. Got this trailer new in north Texas, and it spent 10 yrs in AR.
Pictures not working today on site ?

image.jpeg
Ok they are just not like normal
Is pine stronger than fir , don't know if I can get PT pine here image.jpg image.jpeg
Sorry for the duplicate pics , couldn't get rid of the spares

Last edited:
I would do either PT or 3x8 fir if you can get it.

Some folks here say painted fir, I was thinking deck seal ? (Thomsons) the top .
PT here is brown dinged up fir , anyone use yellow wood ? Don't think I can get green PT here.
Last trailer I made I used green pt clamped together then screwed , two months latter 1" gaps
Thanks for the advice

My part of the world {Florida} PT is made from Southern Yellow Pine and thats why I said to use the above ground grade its not wet and don't shrink.
From the picture I have a question? Did the old deck run from the front to the back?

I was thinking of installing side to side.
*G*

Here is a picture of how the deck is held down on my ten year old 5'x10' trailer.
trailer 003 (Small).jpg
The deck floats and the angle is through bolted every 2'.
It held up pretty good for 5/4" SYP PT.
I'v had good luck with rattle cans of spray on bed liner.
*G*

Man, I hate wood for a trailer deck, I replaced my 20' 14K lb. flat bed wood deck with 1/8"steel diamond plate. The original wood lasted about four years in the desert sun despite treating the wood once a year. Anyway, it required a build up grid of 1-1/2" X 1-1/2"x 10 gauge square tubing. The main runners that run the length of the trailer where placed in a ladder fashion to keep the deck from oil canning when hauling a small tractor and such. Stake pocket where also located in six locations on the main I-beam frame rails for mounting three removable headache type supports for hauling 20' lengths of steel. The headache racks have an adjustable vertical member for snugging up next to the load of steel. Additional weld on D rings where welded in for multiple anchoring locations. The racks allows for picking the steel lengths with a fork lift and can be pulled/removed for use of the full bed. Just a thought on an alternative to wood.
.IMG_0233.JPGIMG_0234.JPG

Back