Trailer Hitch Receiver question.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I'm working on the Little Niva project, and i've come to the point where i'm looking at Trailer Hitches. All the euro style ones are very limited in their uses, I've seen the US style hitch on couple of military vehicles but i don't have access to take measurements so i can make two for the little niva, one for the front and one for the back. From all the research i've done i'll like to make "Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III - 2" the inside dimension is easy is 2" but i can't find the length of the receiver or where to place the hole for the pin that secures it. Any dimension or advice is much appreciated.
f0b285b8-4e01-4669-98a4-181e45a3a753_1.c985ecd54385b5c4bc1eba5e30563577.jpeg

I would look for which reciver coupler piece you would need to use and take measurements from that to give you a much better "customized" fit so that the reciever end doesn't stick out to far and can be somewhat hidden if needed.

With that said I do believe that just about every 2" hitch ive ever had on a vehicle had the pin hole centered 2 inches from the end with a diameter of 3/4" to 1".

Last edited:
No problem to make your own receiver but you'll find you need to grind off the inside seam weld in order to fit the hitch piece in it

When I built my custom receiver I bought the part that was going to go into it and then was able to make it to fit that part perfect. This will get you close enough to be able to use any off the shelf hitch accessory since they are a pretty universal fit.

Yes you will have to remove the weld seam from inside so that the hitch can slide in.

Back