trailer spindle repair

My telescoping gages are Starrett No. S579H. It is a set of 6 gages. There is a very slight radius to the ends of the gages. I doubt that it would show in a picture. I was using the correct gage for the size of the hole and the edges of the gage would contact the hole and not the center of the gage. I could just barely see a gap between the center of the gage and the hole while the edges were in contact with the hole. Maybe the holes were too rough for the gage to touch on the center verses the edges. I don't know. IMHO which probably doesn't count for much if I had designed these gages I would have designed a much larger radius.

IMHO which probably doesn't count for much if I had designed these gages I would have designed a much larger radius.
I think you mean a smaller radius. As long as it is smaller. Bigger is totally useless. It does not need to be "much smaller", just smaller. The radius of the gage plunger measuring surface needs to be smaller than the radius of the bore you are measuring. If not, find one that is.

You are right Bob. Should have said a much smaller radius.

Back