trailer spindle repair

Unlikely to be able to pin or screw it in place. The seal rides on the OD, so it should have a smooth finish. Press, shrink and or high temp loctite or similar.

Could perhaps screw it thru the face if it were wide enough, but doesn't seem practical.

And when he puts a spacer there. Good luck getting the cotter pen in for the castle nut.

Ied go to the farm store and buy a known good axle with spindles and hubs.
I hate it when your trailer tire passes you up going down the road o_O
Use old axle as stock for other projects

Be sure to check spindle and match the radius on your spacer. most have a radius in the corner. But heat/press fit should work, as there is not really any spinning force on it but the seal surface. or at least that is what I see.

The mystery continues. Got back home late last night. Took pictures of the right and left spindles today.
IMG_3535.JPG
Left Spindle
IMG_3534.JPG
Right spindle

It appears to me that a spacer is part of the design of the spindle. The left spindle definitely has a spacer and the right spindle does not. The spacer on the left spindle did not want to come off. But I didn't try very hard to remove either. In looking at the right spindle there is a large radius from the spindle to the backing plate.. I have searched online and cannot find a spindle with a spacer. Or even just a spacer for a spindle.
The bearings are readily available and are metric. Koyo 30206j-n Hi Cap. The inner bearing has a 30mm bore. Because it is metric I am wondering if whoever made this trailer used spindles off of the rear axle of a front wheel drive car. I'll search for cars that this bearing was used on. I just might find the spacer.

Back to making a spacer. What type/grade of steel should I use to make this spacer?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Measure from the face of the shoulder to the cotter pen on both if there is room then make a spacer

What type of steel do I make the spacer out? Don't have anything on hand that is the right size. I will have to buy it. What should I buy?

What type of steel do I make the spacer out? Don't have anything on hand that is the right size. I will have to buy it. What should I buy?
how much do you use the trailer? i have a hub i make (rather vend out) that is 4140 forged and where the seal rides it is speced for induction hardening so the seal doesn't wear the hub - but this is designed for 100k plus miles in an expensive vehicle.

you will probably get a lot of answers that reflect what nasa would do but imo - in reality it probably isn't important what you use for this application. if you think you need an alloy and either case hardening or hardening i think you would be better off buying a replacement spindle or better yet a new axle. they don't usually cost that much

This trailer won't get much use. 500 miles per year at the most. Probably not even that much. The occasional trip to the dumb or to pick up some landscape materials. It is more just to have in case I need it. I've had it for over 3 years and just getting around to looking at it.

This trailer won't get much use. 500 miles per year at the most. Probably not even that much. The occasional trip to the dumb or to pick up some landscape materials. It is more just to have in case I need it. I've had it for over 3 years and just getting around to looking at it.

there you go. find a chuck of mystery steel and have at it. i guessing but i bet most trailer spindles aren't case hardened at the seal area anyway.
make it like tony wells said, give it a .0005 to .0015 interference fit, drive it on and forget it. if you screw up and make it a 0 fit peen the bore and use it.

Back