Tramming a vise- the easy way

Your Kurt should already have holes in the back for mounting the fixed jaw on the rear of the vise - you could use those...
GsT

These vise tramming threads always end up providing some unique ideas here and there. So far I haven't found anything being more simple and fast as just clamping an Indicol to the spindle loaded with the .0005" indicator of your choice, and just tap it in. Maybe I'm missing something, but this shouldn't take more than a matter of minutes to accomplish, and with tools that are normally already at hand within reach of the mill.

These vise tramming threads always end up providing some unique ideas here and there. So far I haven't found anything being more simple and fast as just clamping an Indicol to the spindle loaded with the .0005" indicator of your choice, and just tap it in. Maybe I'm missing something, but this shouldn't take more than a matter of minutes to accomplish, and with tools that are normally already at hand within reach of the mill.
Good Morning, I have had jobs where I had to remove the vise from the table to use my rotary table and then back to the vise and also clear the table for long work for the same job. Thats why I attached the vise stop to realign the vise on the table. It's true that tramming the vise is not all that time consuming but for me it removes that step. I would like to add something that I do when "0"ing my vise is to use the built in mount provided on my Bridgeport head for bringing in the vise rather then use the spindle as a gauge mount. Thanks for the reply.7E082F0A-FCB4-447D-9CB4-CA39C8FDD49F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning, I have had jobs where I had to remove the vise from the table to use my rotary table and then back to the vise and also clear the table for long work for the same job. Thats why I attached the vise stop to realign the vise on the table. It's true that tramming the vise is not all that time consuming but for me it removes that step. I would like to add something that I do when "0"ing my vise is to use the built in mount provided on my Bridgeport head for bringing in the vise rather then use the spindle as a gauge mount. Thanks for the reply.View attachment 428846
Hi Charles, your vise stop is one of the most clever ideas I've seen on a vise tramming thread. I think it's excellent!

Hi Charles, your vise stop is one of the most clever ideas I've seen on a vise tramming thread. I think it's excellent!
Good morning, I'm glad you like the idea and I'm sure I am not the first to try this. This is why this site is so important and we can all learn something new. When I read posts by others I see how many knowledgable people are sharing opinions and help. Thanks again.

Good Morning, I have had jobs where I had to remove the vise from the table to use my rotary table and then back to the vise and also clear the table for long work for the same job. Thats why I attached the vise stop to realign the vise on the table. It's true that tramming the vise is not all that time consuming but for me it removes that step. I would like to add something that I do when "0"ing my vise is to use the built in mount provided on my Bridgeport head for bringing in the vise rather then use the spindle as a gauge mount. Thanks for the reply.View attachment 428846
If you have enough height, clamp a key to your rotary table and hold it in the vice.

Back