Tramming a vise- the easy way

I divide the hole size ( 1/2" = 1/4" and so on ) in half and use the center of that hole with a center mark at the center of the work on the rotary table. That works with rounds for any number of holes needed and squares using 4 holes. then divide the holes on the RT to the degree needed. PLEASE ignore this post. it was meant for another forum, but I couldn't delete it. Sorry

Last edited:
didn’t go through the whole thread so this has probably already been described.

I tighten one side and snug the other. Indicator in the quill and tap the snugged side with a brass hammer until both reach zero when checked.

takes me about a minute, two at the most…

I do like the idea of adding a “stop” to the underside so it goes on/off in a trammed position (or close to it).

didn’t go through the whole thread so this has probably already been described.

I tighten one side and snug the other. Indicator in the quill and tap the snugged side with a brass hammer until both reach zero when checked.

takes me about a minute, two at the most…

I do like the idea of adding a “stop” to the underside so it goes on/off in a trammed position (or close to it).
Hi, When I put the vise back on the table I am careful not to slam it, just light pressure. It has worked well for me. Thanks for the "like".

I have a 80 mm vice and my milling column is flat. I have made a spacer between de column and vice (a piece of square stock go's in the vice). I press the vice against this spacer and tighten the bolt one by one a bit tighter until they are tight. That takes about 1 minute and 9 out of 10 the difference between the alignment right/left is within 0.02 mm.
When I need more accuracy, i also use the tap as you go method.

I divide the hole size ( 1/2" = 1/4" and so on ) in half and use the center of that hole with a center mark at the center of the work on the rotary table. That works with rounds for any number of holes needed and squares using 4 holes. then divide the holes on the RT to the degree needed. PLEASE ignore this post. it was meant for another forum, but I couldn't delete it. Sorry
Select Edit, select all your text and right click and select cut. type deleted and Save

Back