Tramming Indicators for Mill

Good afternoon guys,well taking the advise of the membership here I decided to go ahead and anodize my tramming gage. Na I have never done this before but I did have the ideal few yrs ago and never follow through mainly because I never made anything out of aluminum.Well yesterday was a test run which went very well.But today was kinda opposite.As you can see there are few flaws and there is also one on bottom side.What I did different today which I had forgot was to use my Purple Power to clean the part before it went into the degreaser. I thought that maybe the degreaser would have been good enough but I guess I was wrong. I know I could strip it down and do it again but na I am going to leave my flaws to serve as a reminder for me not to take short cuts when it comes to cleaning.So next going to check the head again and fine tune it.Tram1.jpgTram 2.jpgTram 3.jpg

Really nice job flaws and all. I like the fact you choose a creative design when a simple bar would have done just fine.
Fwiw when anodizing aluminum I understand that you clean it until you are Absolutely Positively Sure that the part is clean and then you clean it a few more times before you give it a final cleaning right before you start the anodizing process.... and remember Anodizing will NOT hide any surface flaws or blemishes but it likes to highlight them!

Last edited:
Beautiful work!
That would make tramming simple.

Back