Tramming

Old Fixer

Registered
Registered
Hello - I have a Johannson A37 (Clausing 8520). Does anyone have a hint on adjusting the nod other than disassembling and shimming - rinse and repeat. My head was out .030. I have it down to .003 - .004. but it sure is a lot of work to take the entire head off each time. Has anyone ever come up with adjustable spacers?
Thanks in advance!

Your problem may well lie elsewhere. Check perpendicularity of the top of the knee ways to the column vertical slides. Fixing it may be as simple as tightening the Z axis lock and/or adjusting the Z axis gib. With a head that does not nod, there is never enough wear on the head to ram interface to cause enough wear to the head or ram to have caused your problem. The machine probably left the factory with the spindle nicely square with the table, and the table nicely square with the Z ways. Check them out... (Please do not remove metal from the mounting surfaces of the head to ram interface unless you REALLY know what you are doing...) Is the machine badly worn overall?

I thought that I had responded last week... guess I didn't "post". In the interim I have checked and rechecked the Z axis. As long as it's locked it is square. So I think I will continue to work with the shims. even if it is a pain. Thanks for the advice!

Back