[Mill] Trans World Steel Vhm-728 Vertical/horizontal Milling Machine

Greetings Ulma Doctor
It would appear that I own a very close sibling to your TWS VHM-728 (see attached). I can't find a copy of the owners manual and I saw that you had the original that came with your machine. Is there any chance that I could get you to scan it and send me a copy?
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to unlock the the vertical feed in the headstock so that I can use the drill-press lever without removing the gear on the side of the headstock - I was hoping there was a more convenient means shown in the manual. Plus, I've never used the horizontal feature and it would be really helpful to have the manual when I do.
Many thanks in advance,
Isotherm

IMG_20171227_115640.jpg

Greetings Ulma Doctor
It would appear that I own a very close sibling to your TWS VHM-728 (see attached). I can't find a copy of the owners manual and I saw that you had the original that came with your machine. Is there any chance that I could get you to scan it and send me a copy?
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to unlock the the vertical feed in the headstock so that I can use the drill-press lever without removing the gear on the side of the headstock - I was hoping there was a more convenient means shown in the manual. Plus, I've never used the horizontal feature and it would be really helpful to have the manual when I do.
Many thanks in advance,
Isotherm

Hi @Isotherm,
here is copies of the manuals and info i have :grin:

the last attachment is the 1979 Jet tool catalog entries, skip to page 34 for the Jet VHM-728 a direct kin

Attachments

• HVM-728 OLD .pdf
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • HVM-728 OPERATORS MANUAL.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • HVM-728.pdf
    679.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Jet_1979_Catalog.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 37
to unlock the quill,
there is lock lever on the front of the vertical head near the spindle protrusion, on the lower right side of the head.
unlock the lever.
on the left side of the head, there is a knurled cap about 2" in diameter.
simply unscrew the cap CCW a few threads until you can operate the hand lever on the right side of the head
for quill extension and retraction, respectively

I scored one of those all metal worm drives (6-1/2" Blade) back in the 90's from a retired gent.
Truck was broken into here in TN in '05 and the lowlifes got that and a bunch of other stuff.
That brute was strong. Miss it to this day.
-=-
Sloffing off today, trying to stay warm, can't get motivated to do anything productive.
However I just ran the above .PDFs through an OCR program and now the document text can be searched on.

Attachments

• HVM-728_OCRd.pdf
    705 KB · Views: 25
  • HVM-728_Operators_Manual_OCRd.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • HVM-728_OLD_OCRd.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 21
Back