Transfer Punch

I guess the question is: how much is our time worth, also we are too much of a throwaway society.
Initial cost is a large factor.
If you were to produce a line of Bemmy's 28 piece set of Transfer Punches that would perform for 100 strikes for $125.99.
28 tools X 100 uses per tool is 2800 strikes or $.04.00 per strike, how many home users will cough up $125.00 up front?

Initial cost is a large factor.
If you were to produce a line of Bemmy's 28 piece set of Transfer Punches that would perform for 100 strikes for $125.99.
28 tools X 100 uses per tool is 2800 strikes or $.04.00 per strike, how many home users will cough up $125.00 up front?
Not me, for one, when I retired, I bought import sets for fractions, letters and numbers; most will likely never get used; I have had to repoint a couple of them, the work of a few minutes at most.

I like my Spellman set that I got from Enco years ago. Good quality for a fair price. You can clearly see that about half of the punch is hardened. These have a teet looking tip. How do you repoint these?

I just use a hard grade of carbide tool and recut the point. Perhaps a ceramic insert would work as well.

See my comments here:

I am curious to see what you get if you order the Spellman punches. Please let us know.
Robert

Like others I bought import sets for metric, fractions, letters and numbers plus the type that screw in threaded holes. Thanks Enco!! I really miss you.

Anyway, knowing that they were import quality I have treated them as Transfer Markers rather than Transfer Punches. I tap them just hard enough to make a usable mark ... possibly on a blued surface ... then proceed with a hardened punch to make the real 'drill here' divot. Yes, an extra step but for this hobbyist on a budget it has served me well.

Just food for thought.

Back