Transferring a Draftsight perpetual license to a new computer

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
2 years ago I purchased Draftsight Professional 2018 with a perpetual license. After documenting a very rough start in "a Draftsight Rant" in this thread, I've been using it successfully since then. Draftsight has since gone to an annual subscription model.

Now I want to upgrade to a new WIN10 computer, but it is not clear to me how to reinstall my 2018 software back onto a new computer without invoking this new subscription model and new Draftsight 2020.

Can anyone advise?

Did you purchase from a reseller? If I'm not mistaken, perpetual licenses are purchased in that manner - well at least now they are with DS 2019 through their enterprise options.

IF you did purchase from a reseller, I would contact them and ask the question. I would like to think you should be able to reinstall as is. One problem you may run across is that windows 10 is 64 bit now. DS 2018 may not be 64 bit - double check this as I am completely speculating at this point.

If you have a perpetual license you should have access to update pricing as well. It may be worth trying to get somebody on the phone to talk through all of your options before you upgrade and inadvertently get locked into a full new purchase without intending to do so.

I was able to get an email to DS customer Support and it looks like they will honor my perpetual license.

The process is to "de-activate" the software on the old computer, then re-install and
"activate" on the new computer. Simple enough. They'll have to supply me the required files however. I believe I initially installed from their server.

I was half expecting them to try to make me comply with the new subscription pricing model.

Last edited:
I was able to get an email to DS customer Support and it looks like they will honor my perpetual license.

The process is to "de-activate" the software on the old computer, then re-install and
"activate" on the new computer. Simple enough. They'll have to supply me the required files however. I believe I initially installed from their server.

I was half expecting them to try to make me comply with the new subscription pricing model.
This is the same process that I have to use with SolidWorks, another Dassault product. I purchased a license in 2012. I can install SolidWorks on as many computers as I want as long as it is only active on one.

Back