Transposing gears, the crazy way

Just to follow up, a year later. A few months after making these gears, I purchased a 3D printer. I finally got around to designing and printing a 64 tooth driven gear with the extended boss like the factory set, except in my 12DP, last winter I also carved a new split-clamp style banjo from a 2x4 chunk of aluminum bar this past spring. So now the system is complete. And stable. And for all of the promises that these were just for metric threading, the aluminum transposing gears and the plastic (PLA at that) driven gear have been in continuous service since day one.

having got a 3d printer, i just print new dividing head index plates all the time, they dont need to be that strong, just register on the holes. I managed to purchase a van norman dividing head, it was listed as a 4 1/2 ", unbeknown to me that was the centre height, it came with an 8" chuck, and was bigger than my milling machine, but i have hopes that if needed it will work on my SB 13"

I can't believe I just read this entire thread, and with interest no less. I may need professional help. Thanks Randy, it was quite a journey. Better you than me.

Back