Transposing gears

Izzy

Registered
Registered
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but here goes.
I need to cut a 2mm pitch thread on my imperial lathe. My lathe has a 8TPI lead screw and the spindle has a 16, 32 & 64 gear attached to it my lead screw has a permanent 96 gear on it. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the maths to figure out what gears I need to cut a 2mm pitch with my lathe?

Last edited:
There's a big gap with the number I need missing! Lol the thread needs to be accurate as the mating part has about 2.5" of thread on it. I'm still trying to figure it out but it's my first time using a machine with change gears so I'm just having some troubles figuring it out on my own...

http://www.conradhoffman.com/metricthreading.htm
I found this site which was helpful but my lathe is a little different from his, my lead screw has a fixed 96 tooth gear and the spindle has a fixed 16, 32 and 64 tooth gear (it's all one piece) maybe someone could make more sense of this than I can? I'll get a picture of what my gear train looks like on my lathe

Last edited:
Heres what the change gears look like. Also the lead screw is 96 tooth not 80. I've corrected my post.
IMG_20170930_155227.jpg

Oh god, I feel dumb...
I just took my lead screw gear off and I completely forgot it's got an adapter to go from 1" shafting to 1.75" shafting! I can still fit my 1" bore gears on the lead screw... Which makes things a little easier, I think? I just recently got this lathe running so I'm still getting used to all it's little quirks haha the stud gear I guess can be removed but they are an odd size shaft so I can't use my other 1" bore change gears on that, may as well say the stud is fixed with 16, 32 and 64 tooth gearsIMG_20170930_161625.jpg

So update on my change gear situation.
My lathe came with a 120 tooth gear so, if I can buy a 127 tooth gear I can get my lead screw to "act" like a 3mm pitch lead screw. The problem I run into with this is my spindle gear is 64tooth which doesn't divide by 1.5 evenly...
Is there anyone at all who can help me out here? I've been tryna figure it out on my own for days! :(

Back