Travel indicator crystal

westsailpat

Registered
Registered
The crystal (plastic) on mine falls out , I believe it was glued in . I saw a Youtube video of a installation of a crystal on a DTI . It was very interesting they put the flat crystal in a press that domed it and then put on the bezel , released the press , the crystal expanded and that was it nice and tight . Has anyone done this or do you glue it back in ? What kind of glue did you use ? Thanks , Mark .
DSCF2542 by mark westi, on Flickr

I replaced the crystal in a Starrett indicator by using a Harbor Freight watch crystal press to dome the crystal.

I wouldn't use crazy glue because it can permanently haze the plastic. Maybe a dab of white glue? I'm thinking non-destructive here

If at all possible for you, the domed expanded, snap fit approach just makes sense to me.

Usually they are designed to have the crystal mechanically retained. I fixed a dial caliper that was missing the plastic crystal by buying a plastic crystal from a watch supply company. It just set into place and was retained in some mechanical manner. Watch supply companies sell glues intended for retaining crystals, when that is needed. e.g., see GS Crystal Cement at http://www.ofrei.com/page_208.html. I haven't used it.

Check to make sure the bezel is nice and round. If not, make an anvil to correct it. The crystal should snap fit with a press.
The G&S crystals are OK but not great. You may be able to find a watch crystal, glass, that will will fit and look better too.
Most crystals for gages need a press and some just snap in. Not sure about this Craftsman model.

Back