Travel to Alaska

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My grandson was medically discharged from the Army in Anchorage as the result of a parachuting accident. He is currently employed in Jerome, ID but has some household items in storage at Anchorage. The cost of moving the stuff to the lower 48 is beyond the family budget, so I am considering towing my cargo trailer to Anchorage and retrieving the furniture. My main question here is: Is there a route commonly used by the freight trucking industry through British Columbia Province? The trip would probably take place in late April or May. At the time of this writing most of western Colorado's paved road are clear of snow etc. due to warmer weather, gives a fellow the itch to get on the road but would rather not stay in motels for 2 weeks to make the 6? day trip then return. I would welcome feedback from members living in British Columbia.
Rock_Breaker

It was a long time ago, (90's) when I was stationed up there, I drove up when I got stationed there and it was not bad. But then pulled a trailer back when I left, but that was in DEC. That was (H...). Made it through both times with one night stay in the US, Then 1 in Canada, Then 1 in AK , Before getting to Anchorage. Same on the way back. Should be a lot better in April/MAY from what I know. Just be careful. Had a couple of tire problems on my trip.

I live in Alberta so I have plenty of experience on winter roads in Canada. The route you travel will take you mostly through Alberta and you won't get into BC until you are quite far north. Most of the roads you travel on your trip will be at least partly covered in ice and snow at this time of year. I personally would hesitate to tow a cargo trailer on those roads for the distance you are travelling. There is only one major highway going South to North in Alberta and none north of Edmonton so you will be travelling mostly on paved secondary highways that don't get a huge amount of attention from the highways department. By that I mean there is no attempt to completely clear them of ice and snow, they just plow the loose stuff off the top. On top of that the weather here is can change very quickly so you can't trust the weather forecasts, You need to be prepared for really bad weather if you travel long distances here in winter. The further north you get the farther the towns are from each other. If I needed to make that trip I would wait until at least the end of March. Safer still the end of April.

Well I grew up at Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway, but that's about all I can help with! My parents were up there through the 1940's when the road was being built, but when we left in the '70's I was still in my teens. The road is a lot better now than it used to be, but it's still in the North. If you do go, it'll be a beautiful trip.

-frank

The roads thru Canada are all pretty good until you get into the Yukon, from there threw a few miles from Anchorage they are built on tundra and permafrost and are like a roller coaster. 40-45 miles an hour can be uncomfortable in a car with good shocks, towing a trailer? Lots of people do it.
Expect snow thru the end of May or later in some areas, although the roads are generally plowed and graveled, probably mostly clear, and it does clear up fast. Some of the areas use pretty big rocks to sand the roads, lots of heavy truck traffic, they don't like to share the road, good chance of broken windows from flying rocks. Long stretches between anyplace, and not much there when you do get someplace. It's hard to imagine how far it is and how long it takes until you've done it, even for someone used to driving long distances in the western states. Beautiful country even for someone used to the western states. That time of the year you get lots of daylight travel, and it can sneak up on you, you almost have to force yourself to rest. Everything is double the cost of the lower 48.
Probably cheaper to fly to Anchorage, ship everything to Seattle and pick it up there. I'd think about selling everything there and buying down south, even sold at a loss probably cost less than storage and the drive up and back.

These are very helpful responses and are being given serious consideration. Part of the stuff in storage is family heirlooms so hard to part with. I am learning that however it is done it won't be cheap!!!
Have a good day
Ray

Nothing about Alaska is cheap, or inexpensive. I'm surprised the military didn't pay to ship his goods, they're usually pretty good about that.
You might start checking Craig's list for a trailer to buy in Anchorage. You might think about buying a trailer there and selling it when you get home rather than towing an empty up. If you could find a load to take up it would justify taking the trailer up, but otherwise the wear and tear on the trailer and tow rig and added fuel cost might justify buying one there.
I've bought several trailers down south, loaded them up and towed north and saved the cost of shipping, then sold the trailers here and paid for the trip, but those were flat decks that the fishermen use for gear. Guys that bring up covered trailers usually wind up eating them.

Thanks psgflier.
Your in-put has enlarged my planning process immenselly, in that there may be some covered trailers available in the Anchorage area.
This may take an extra day but buying a covered trailer in Anchorage would possibly reduce the expense.
Thanks for the help!
Ray

Alaska is best visited in the summer because this is the most favorable time. If you are going to go to the city of Seward, and I have to go there, then the Internet can deceive you.

Back