Treadmill Motor/Bandsaw Metal Conversion Question

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I have read many old threads here on wood to metal vertical bandsaw conversions, and the amount of information here is commendable. This site and its members is an amazing resource.
One question that I have is, with DC motors having such powerful magnets, is metal sticking to and getting inside the motor itself a problem?
Thanks!

Not usually. The motor housing tends to contain the magnetic field so there's only a very slight amount on the outside.
Good question though. I imagine some motors are better than others in this regard. The best type would be TENV (totally enclosed, non-ventilated) so chips won't get inside
-Mark

Last edited:
Not usually. The motor housing tends to contain the magnetic field so there's only a very slight amount on the outside.
Good question though. I imagine some motors are better than others in this regard. The best type would be TENV (totally enclosed, non-ventilated) so chips won't get inside
-Mark

-Mark
Thanks for the reply.
The reason I ask is because I had the motor that I plan on using on my 1st lathe, and there were some chips stuck to it magnetically.
Thanks!

I finished my ancient Bridgeport power feed project, so now I am ready to tackle this 14" Jet bandsaw DC motor conversion.
I have this ridiculous 3.2hp treadmill motor that I used to run my old lathe.
16201686371553568059213112569073.jpg
16201686938754086156980884109983.jpg

This motor is 14" long and will just fit into the base of the saw. Luckily it has the correct base on it, so it will bolt right in. I haven't determined how the pully is attached. I know that these are usually threaded on. There is a key slot on the pully. It could either be un used here, or there could be a woodruff key on the shaft. I know that I could cut it off without hurting the shaft, but that would be unpleasant and I hope to avoid doing that incase I might need to use the pully.
Any suggestions or ideas that would assist me would be greatly appreciated!
Here is the Mikemanmade power supply that runs this motor.
16201693864004403083528614571453.jpg

This is pretty much done! It was so easy that it didn't seem right. The motor bolted right in. The old pully went right onto the tm motor shaft. I was able to use the same belt. The original Jet wiring was easily reused with the dc speed controller. I didn't have a puller wide enough for the 7 1/2" flywheel, so I set it up on my press. It came right off. The speeds are excellent for metal cutting. They range from a little too slow to a little too fast, and everything in between. It needs a new blade, and I have ceramic guides to put in it.
I actually feel a little guilty for some reason.

Thanks for the help guys!
20210506_001830.jpg
20210506_001710.jpg
20210506_001628.jpg
20210506_001613.jpg

Thanks Matt, I think that it being so big, it will still have decent power when it is running slow. If it gets too warm, I'll just add a muffin fan.

Back