Treadmill motor conversion for planer feed - running too fast

Most of the cheaper motors are LH threaded. Hold the other end of the motor shaft in a bench vise, grab the flywheel in both hands and turn it clockwise. That motor looks like a nice one that I put on my lathe which is definitely 1/2-13 LH threaded. I built a 2 step polyV pulley for it and bought a tap for the internal threads. Also put a screw in the end of the shaft as extra insurance against the pulley threading off.
View attachment 319748
View attachment 319749

I've also done it as FanMan shows above, turning down the original polyV pulley part of the flywheel and slipping a regular V pulley over it. I've also made a top hat stub shaft to attach an original stepped V pulley to (for the mill) so I could use the original spindle pulley.

If you were to make a jackshaft, I'd suggest keeping the original flywheel/ pulley and match it to a treadmill roller shaft pulley. The output of the jackshaft can be whatever matches up to the pulley on your planer. Pretty sure I have one of those treadmill roller shaft pulleys around - you're welcome to it for the price of postage.
Actually, yes, this makes much more sense. No point in going to great lengths to remove a perfectly good pulley if I'm feeding into a countershaft.

Back