Treadmill motor conversion for planer feed - running too fast

Here's another simple and very cheap jack shaft I made for my wife's grain mill. Uses cheap flanged bearings and plywood for case and belt guard.
DSCF4297.JPGDSCF4294.JPG

On the treadmill motors I've encountered, the pulley is LEFT-HAND threaded onto the motor shaft. Of course, yours may be different ... but it might be worth a try.
Really? I didn't even think that it could have been threaded in place. I'll give it a try

Here's another simple and very cheap jack shaft I made for my wife's grain mill. Uses cheap flanged bearings and plywood for case and belt guard.
View attachment 319607View attachment 319608
Very clever system. I've found a source for pulleys, shafts, etc in the UK but by the time I've added up all the parts it's not coming out much less than a new 3 phase motor and a VFD. But maybe I'm over-engineering it! I have some more thinking to do.

On the treadmill motors I've encountered, the pulley is LEFT-HAND threaded onto the motor shaft. Of course, yours may be different ... but it might be worth a try.
OK - next stupid question: How do you remove a pulley that's threaded on? Do you have some way to lock the spindle?

OK - next stupid question: How do you remove a pulley that's threaded on? Do you have some way to lock the spindle?
Impact gun and pliers on the shaft.

Though, looking at that picture, it looks like it is keyed on the shaft? Can you take a better picture of the end of the shaft?

The motor shaft is covered entirely by the pulley. Theres no obvious keyway but on closer inspection I do see the beginnings of threads on the motor shaft :encourage:

Attachments

• 20200405_184217.jpg
    20200405_184217.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200405_184238.jpg
    20200405_184238.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
The motor shaft is covered entirely by the pulley. Theres no obvious keyway but on closer inspection I do see the beginnings of threads on the motor shaft :encourage:
Ah, guess I was imagining dirt as a keyway on the old shaft pic :)

Ah, guess I was imagining dirt as a keyway on the old shaft pic :)

DIRT?? On MY pulley?! How dare you Sir! I'll have you know I run a tight ship at Harrington Harps :grin big:

OK so, I've spent most of the day wondering in what sort of arrangment you can possibly use a pliers and an impact gun to remove a pulley like this :sherlock:
Is an impact gun the same thing as an impact driver?

DIRT?? On MY pulley?! How dare you Sir! I'll have you know I run a tight ship at Harrington Harps :grin big:

OK so, I've spent most of the day wondering in what sort of arrangment you can possibly use a pliers and an impact gun to remove a pulley like this :sherlock:
Is an impact gun the same thing as an impact driver?
An impact driver (the drill-like thing) is a really low powered version of an impact gun, but it might work too. The trick here is going to be to find some part of the shaft you can hold on to and let the impact driver/gun turn the pulley, otherwise it'll just spin. I'm not sure I see any part of it that'll work there (assuming the big black disc spins as well!).

Is that indent in the shaft threaded? If so, you might be able to hold the shaft from the front with a bolt? At that point, you could clamp some vice grips on the big rotating masss, and smack them with a hammer(something heavy to give it a good impact:)) and hope that breaks it free.

Unfortunately I don't think it's threaded. I'll double check when I'm back in tomorrow but I think it's just a shallow dimple sort of thing. There's no part of this shaft exposed at all to get a grip on

Back