Treadmill Motor Conversion On A Walker Turner Drill Press

from memory that's a controller that you made yourself right? Or some non-treadmill based controller? I'm using an MC40 treadmill controller, which I'm pretty sure isn't closed loop. Either way, I'm happy and that's all that counts :)

just to (almost) complete the story, I added the choke I got off eBay to the motor. Runs much quieter and smoother now, less speed oscillation which is nice.

IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4904.JPG

the reason why it's not completely finished is that I need to add the new F/R switch that arrived today, as the cheapo eBay one crapped the bed. this one is a decent brand and rated at 20A/125V, so that should do the trick. I've been missing my "start at previous speed" function that the switch gives me :)

looks great Matt!
very nice use of materials, great project!!!:grin:

from memory that's a controller that you made yourself right?
No, it's the one that came with the treadmill. I made minor modifications. One of these days I'll finish the tach and post the project here.

The controller I made myself is on the knee drive on my mill. I'm not satisfied with the result, though. The controller works fine but the 1/4 HP electric drill motor is too feeble.

ah, gotcha John. got my wires crossed :) with some more use and the choke on the motor line I've been using the 2nd fastest pulley from 300rpm to 2200rpm without any problems. dunno if it works better than the one on the lathe because it's a bigger motor or because the drill press/ mill is more forgiving. can't see myself using the other pulley ratios other than for very small cutters or large drills/ hole saws. haven't done any work with steel yet though, but i did run a 1/2in router bit through some wood this evening at full speed, which was fun.

thanks Mike, it's been on the cards since Christmas and I've been looking forward to it for ages! it's every bit as great as I'd hoped!

Matt -

On June 2 you posted, "I've been missing my 'start at previous speed' function that the switch gives me." It's not clear, but did you get this working again? If not, you might want to do what I did when I converted a drill press to use a treadmill motor. By adding a simple on-off switch to the center wire of the pot, you can get "start at previous speed." I was lucky enough to find a pot with a push-pull on-off function right on the knob.

My only remaining gripe about the motor and flywheel is that it spins a LONG time after I shot it off. I'm planning to scab on some kind of brake band around the flywheel.

Matt are you going to part with the WT power switch? I'm looking for one.
Mark S.

Back