Treadmill Motor & it;s uses

Here's some pics of the goodies I got out of the tread mill, along with the things i listed in the previous post is a nice sized piece of mdf board clad on one side, it will come in handy I'm sure

Tread Mill (1).JPG Tread Mill (2).JPG Tread Mill (3).JPG Tread Mill (4).JPG

It's a permanent magnet 2-1/2hp dc motor, 7900 rpm , magnetic rpm setup, has a reostat type controller for speed and it does run. Now just need to figure out exactly what I'm gonna do with it.

You could put it in the flat rate box I'll be sending you & Benny on Tuesday and send it to me.:dunno:

Paul

So I get this thing all apart and ready for some kinda project but decide to put it in a one rate shipping box and send it to my good buddy Paul. The day after I send it out I discover I had a bad motor on a cheap band saw I had. Karma kicks in and I find another one at a garage sale for $5.00. I take it apart and mount everything to the band saw but it is wrong rotation, I know you usually just reverse 2 wires but not sure on this as it has a transformer & I don't want to screw it up. Which wires and where would I reverse them?

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeld for another one to power a big shop fan I have with a bad motor.

Charley,
Most DC treadmill motors I've seen have a red and a black wire going to the motor. (The blue wires, if any, go to a thermal switch.) Normally red is + and black is -. Reverse them to reverse the motor.

Chuck

Charley,
Most DC treadmill motors I've seen have a red and a black wire going to the motor. (The blue wires, if any, go to a thermal switch.) Normally red is + and black is -. Reverse them to reverse the motor.

Chuck

I check out the one I got from Charley this morning wired like the the one on Surplus Center worked great.

Then I reversed the wires and it did reverse but the armature start coming out. There seems to be some thing missing on the brush end.

Any body know what that mite be, I don't see where there mite have been a set screw or any other markings.

Paul

Paul, did the whole end plate start comming out? or just the armature shaft? Can you post a picture?
The Treadmill motors I have have 2 long thin bolts holding the end plates together.

Chuck

The flywheel has a lefthand thread I have seen these unscrew themselfs before I usually elliminate the flywheel and add on to the shaft then machine it down. If the brushed end is coming off then the two bolts that hold it on that go through the motor must be loose or gone.. Ray

Last edited:
In the picture Charlie posted of the controller, it looks to me like the MC-60. Good controller. I have one of those with a 2.5 HP motor running my X2 mill. Works great!

Chuck

The motor is a 2 1/2 hp and the controller is easy to wire up. Its the armature shaft that is walking out.

I tried it again and it didn't try to walk out this time but there was a lot of sparks coming from one of the brushes.

Know sparks if it is running forward.

Paul

Motor.JPG

Back