Trolley For Moving Vise & Rotary Table

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0786.JPG My 8 inch vise is pretty heavy so made up a trolley to move it. The rail is about 7 feet long
and the trolley runs on a pair of machined up wheels. Also, I made a jig affair to hold the vise in
a relatively balanced position and included a pair of dogs that slip into the allen heads on the
vise jaws. It works pretty well but am not completely happy with the come-along. Maybe
maybe there is a better way but at least it works for now. Also I plan to build a rolling table
to set the vise and or rotary table on when not in use. That will be my next project.
The lift bracket looks a bit strange but was made this way to be close to the center of
gravity of the vise. I'm thinking a chain and some sort of lifting eyes for the rotary table
to balance it as it weighs 150 pounds or so.

Last edited:
Hope you caught some good beams up there with good lag bolts, hate to hear it came down and left a knot on your head:frown:

Hope you caught some good beams up there with good lag bolts, hate to hear it came down and left a knot on your head:frown:

Yes, I gave that some thought. There are 4 pairs of 4 inch lag bolts holding up the trolley. Also there is substantial stop bolts
at each end of the rail so it can't possibly slip off the end. I think it is plenty strong for it's intended use. If I decide to
lift heavier stuff, I would likely run some threaded rod up over the joists and onto a long beam or angle iron.

You might want to look at one of the inexpensive elect. hoists from Harbor Freight. Mike

You might want to look at one of the inexpensive elect. hoists from Harbor Freight. Mike

Thanks, Mike. I looked at Harbor Freight's winches and there is one for $100 that lifts up to 400 pounds.
Also see similar ones on E-Bay for same price and free shipping. I'm not in a rush so will contemplate
a bit and eventually will come up with something.

That is a pretty slick idea I bet it would work with an engine hoist if the beam is in the wrong spot.

Back