Trouble in Paradise, Pieces of My Broken Heart....

How'd you remove the flux? If you can't soak it off, you can buy Gasflux Type B and use un-coated rods to make life potentially easier. Soaks right off in warm water unless you char it. Personally, I very much like brazing and find it's a very strong way to join steel. I haven't tried cast iron yet, but do have a simple project to try it on one of these days.

Good work.

-Ryan

How'd you remove the flux? If you can't soak it off, you can buy Gasflux Type B and use un-coated rods to make life potentially easier. Soaks right off in warm water unless you char it. Personally, I very much like brazing and find it's a very strong way to join steel. I haven't tried cast iron yet, but do have a simple project to try it on one of these days.

Good work.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan,
i usually tap the flux with a welder's slag hammer and it chips off like glass.
i did have to ream the 3/8" bore of the banjo housing because a little flux did get in the bore.

don't be afraid of brazing cast iron it's surprisingly forgiving and you can become proficient very quickly:))

I've done a lot of brazing with the Harris flux coated rod and bare rods dipped in borax. Both ways work very well. Have fixed many a gear with this method.

I've done a lot of brazing with the Harris flux coated rod and bare rods dipped in borax. Both ways work very well. Have fixed many a gear with this method.
Hi
I just fixed that same part on my Atlas/Clausing with this stuff. I don't have an iron the fire with this company just used the product. I have a Tig welder and it worked great. This stuff is realy tuff, It took a lot to grind it smooth and it is 70,000 psi strenght. http://ezweldtigwire.com/
CH

mike I would blame the break on the other guy too. quit breaking all your equipment so you can actually use it bill from nipomo

I'm used to brazing all sorts of broken bits and pieces (in another time and place)
Note that often a great deal of time and material can be saved by making up parts
instead of making up piles of expensive chips. Remember, too, brazing rod and
and its particular fluxes continue down through numerous kinds of silver solder.
BLJHB.

Most underestimate the value and strength of brazing cast and other metals too. It's been used forever fairly easy to learn to do and inexpensive. The hardest thing is gouging out the room for building it up with braze, the heat up and cool down are really the hardest thing to time but it's best the longer it takes in an oven or wrapped in coals in a fire left to burn out and left till cold .

Just wondering-- is there a suggested hot bath to remove deep.-- dow
petroleum products from cast iron . Like, boil it for a couple of days I've
been wishing for years. What do you do ? .......BLJHB.

Just wondering-- is there a suggested hot bath to remove deep.-- dow
petroleum products from cast iron . Like, boil it for a couple of days I've
been wishing for years. What do you do ? .......BLJHB.
i'd suggest a 400*F oven (or BBQ or even controlled campfire) for an hour or 2
let it cool slowly.
it may remove paint as a side effect, but it will cook the oils out!
all the best!
mike:)

YUPP heats the only way to get oil out. The pores need to open and the oil or grease needs to thin from the heat to run out.

Back