• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Trouble Parting On CM 9x20 Lathe?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

vocatexas

If you have one of the 9x20 lathes sold by Central Machinery, Grizzly, etc. and have trouble parting, do yourself a HUGE favor and make the four bolt compound base as a project. You can download the plans here: http://bedair.org/clamp/9x20clamp.html

I was getting VERY frustrated at parting. Maybe one in five attempts resulted in an acceptable job without breaking a blade or bending the work piece. I made the compound base on the lathe and installed it and the difference is night and day. I can part one inch cold roll into paper-thin wafers now, and that is using a parting blade straight from the package; no grinding or honing. The new base really makes the compound MUCH more rigid. Not only does this help in parting, it also helps on interrupted cuts and enables you to take more depth of cut on stock.

This project is well worth taking the time to do, and, if you are new to machining like me, you will learn several new skills along the way.

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Got to tweet things nowadays to make them work .<>!

Fabrickator

Active User
+1 for the 4-bolt mod, first thing I did on my Grizzly.

Also, set-up for parting properly. Set cutting tool height, Set compound so it's all the way under the QCTP (not @ 30*) so they both ride on the center of carriage for maximum support. Use the proper speed for the size that your cutting. Use proper lubrication for the material that your cutting.

The_Apprentice

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
After doing so much reading... I have decided to always stay the safe route for now and part off only with a hack-saw... Of course, NOT when the lathe is still turning!

[6]
[5] [7]